How on Earth This is possible? (distance to a far galaxy)

• I
  • Thread starter Prof Sabi
  • Start date
https://amp.scroll.in/article/88372...ivity-holds-true-even-beyond-the-solar-system

Read the Section in this link:
Cosmic alignment
The galaxy we investigated has the catchy name ESO 325-G004 – let’s call it E325. Located some 450m light years away, it is one of the closest examples of a rare cosmic alignment – sitting directly between us and a second, more distant, galaxy. The background galaxy in this case is some 17 billion light years further behind. The centres of these two galaxies are aligned to better than one ten-thousandth of a degree.

17 billion light years???? Isn't the universe 13.7 billion years old?

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
At 17 Gly is where it is now, not at the time when it emitted the light that is captured in the picture.

At 17 Gly is where it is now, not at the time when it emitted the light that is captured in the picture.
Need a lil elaboration :eek: ... as I am imagining in this way that the light from that Galaxy literally took 17 billion years to travel to us in with velocity 'c'.

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
Need a lil elaboration :eek: ... as I am imagining in this way that the light from that Galaxy literally took 17 billion years to travel to us in with velocity 'c'.
Let's say the light is emitted at a distance D from the observer. In a non-expanding universe, that initial distance would remain constant in time, and it'd take t=D/c to cover the distance.
In an expanding universe, as the light travels, the distance D grows - both in the part that the light still has to cover, and the part already covered.
This means that the time needed to reach the observer is higher than t=D/c, and the distance at which the source galaxy ends up being by the time of reception is higher than the initial distance D.

edit: typo

Last edited:
Likes alantheastronomer, davenn and jim mcnamara