Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How people say they're wrong without actually thinking it

1. Mar 24, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We've all had those conversations... when you know you're right but the person you're arguing against is dead set against agreeing you no matter how manyc ontradictions you point out in their argument and they ignore or how illogical their views are. Now, feel free to contribue! Mind you, some of these sayings are genuine responses to certain situations... but let's bring some up that you've heard at ends of arguments where the person just didn't want to concede being wrong.

For example:

"Well that's just your opinion" (which is odd because why are you trying to say im wrong if it's all supposedly just opinion)
    "Well other people agree with me so there"
    "I don't care if it doesn't make sense, i'm right so there"
    "Maybe if you were a little more open-minded...."

special for you IR and TD people:
    "People use to say Einstein was wrong"
    "Well your theory is as plausible as mine" (after being shown how non-plausible it is of course)
    "I don't care what your theory says"

I heard that last one last night. Someone said "I don't believe in the speed of light theory". I responded "what about SR don't you understand". Of coures, the response was "What's SR?"

So what kinds of responses have you heard from people? What kind of responses just make you kick yourself for wasting 30 minutes arguing with someone to hear them basically say that they don't care if their argument is wrong or completely inconsistant, they're still right.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When a wise man argues at length with a fool, it becomes difficult to distinguish who is the fool.

- Warren

4. Mar 24, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: Very wise indeed.

5. Mar 24, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:devil: but how are you suppose to educate people then!

6. Mar 24, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're supposed to have the sense to realize it's futile at some point, which is when you give up and say, "Well, that's your opinion; we'll have to agree to disagree," and end the discussion. :biggrin:

7. Mar 24, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

People who wish to be educated usually don't 'argue;' they listen, make reasonable questions, participate in constructive dialogue, etc. The people you're describing are not interested in being educated.

- Warren

8. Mar 24, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Sometimes you have to let the strays go and not return them back to the herd.

9. Mar 24, 2006 #8
    Sometimes its the herd itself that is astray, and a stray from the herd is no stray at all.

10. Mar 24, 2006 #9
    Too much wisdom! Stick to English, people.

11. Mar 24, 2006 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've always liked the saying "I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person".

12. Mar 24, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Alwys trying to ruin me aren't you guys...

13. Mar 24, 2006 #12

Astronuc

No, they are trying to save you from an exercise in futility. :biggrin:

14. Mar 24, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I disagree! :grumpy: :grumpy:

15. Mar 24, 2006 #14

Astronuc

Lose water for few hours and you just get so :grumpy: - :rolleyes:

16. Mar 24, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We got our water back but the shower pressure is so low! I'm :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: !!!!!!

17. Mar 24, 2006 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

18. Mar 24, 2006 #17
    It is probably more wise not to exasporate over someone's implacability; it's better to let it go like water off a duck's back. I personally believe that we all take turns being stubborn in the way you mention anyway. The next time it happens, just imagine that you are arguing with your own stubborn self, and I'm sure you'll change your stance and find that their implacability was to a degree egged on by your own attitude toward them after you determined that they were being stubborn.

Of course, this is just an ideal of mine, and I don't follow my ideals 100%; they are just my guidlines, and I choose to go against them at times because sometimes I surmize that applying them won't benefit anyone.

19. Mar 24, 2006 #18
    Good job starting another post about your :cry:'ing.

P.S. Didn't you already have a thread about this?

20. Mar 24, 2006 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the worse one I got was when I was arguing that one nuclear bomb will not destroy the planet. I'm talking only one single bomb. Considering Russia has tested the largest nuclear bomb ever (that I know of) and the world is still here shows how false this is.

His argument for being right...

"How long you been on this planet?" - Old Guy
    "Um... what you talking about?" - Me
    "I've been on this planet for 60 years so I'm clearly more wise than you." - Old Guy

He walked away after that.

I've never met a bigger fool. I bet a rock contains more intelligence than this man.

21. Mar 24, 2006 #20

Astronuc

Or a pengwuino's back in this case. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?