Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How see through the glass + reflection at same time

1. Nov 14, 2016 #1
    When its day we can kind of see our reflection a little bit and also see outside, when its night we can fully see our reflection in the glass window.
    Can someone explain quantum mechanics behind it because i think iv read an article long time ago on it but cant find it anymore.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

I don't know what the article you read long ago was, but I do know that you will find the answer to your question in Feynmann's (very layman-friendly) book "QED: The strange theory of light and matter".

4. Nov 14, 2016 #3
    Why do you think this is a quantum effect? The transmission and reflection can be explained in classical optics by the Fresnel equations. The greater visibility of the reflection against a dark background is not a quantum effect either.

5. Nov 14, 2016 #4
    No quantum mechanics needed.

Why don't you see the stars during the day? I think the reason is similar.

6. Nov 15, 2016 #5
    Yes i am aware of classical physics explanation but i wanted to hear quantum physics side of it.
    Nugatory i really like Feynman so i will read that book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted