How should I draw a simple plot?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to recreate a primitive plot in a document. The person suggests using programs like Photoshop or Mathcad, but these may not provide the desired results. They are looking for a scalable and visually appealing option, such as Microsoft Visio 2010 or a Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG) image. Other suggestions include using programs like Inkscape, Dia, or LibreOffice Draw. For those using LaTeX, options like MetaPost or Asymptote are also mentioned. The ancient \picture environment built into LaTeX is also suggested as a viable option.
Pzi
Hi.

Let's say there is a need to recreate a primitive plot like
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6001/graz.png

Surely I can Photoshop it, I can even generate it using Mathcad or such, but pictures look awkward when imported into documents...
I dare to say I want them scalable and pretty. Would "Microsoft Visio 2010" be decent for this? Other suggestions? What Google query should I use to get some examples?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You probably want some sort of Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG) image. Inkscape, Dia, and LibreOffice Draw are free programs that will do this; if you have Visio that should work.

1. How do I choose the best type of plot for my data?

The type of plot you choose depends on the type of data you have and the relationship you want to show. For categorical data, a bar chart or pie chart would be appropriate. For continuous data, a line graph or scatter plot would work well. If you want to compare two sets of data, a box plot or stacked bar chart might be more suitable.

2. What are the key elements of a simple plot?

A simple plot should have a title that clearly describes the data being shown, labeled axes with appropriate units, a legend if necessary, and a source or reference for the data. It should also have a clear and easy-to-read layout with appropriate font sizes and colors.

3. How many data points should I include in my plot?

The number of data points you include in your plot depends on the purpose of the plot and the amount of data you have. A general rule of thumb is to include at least 5 data points per category or group. However, the plot should not be too cluttered and it is important to make sure that each data point is clearly visible and distinguishable.

4. How do I make my plot visually appealing?

To make your plot visually appealing, you can use different colors to represent different groups or categories, add labels and annotations to highlight important points, and use different types of markers or lines to make the plot visually interesting. You can also use a consistent color scheme and font style throughout the plot.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a simple plot?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a simple plot include using a misleading scale on the axes, not clearly labeling the data points or groups, using too many colors or elements that make the plot difficult to interpret, and not citing the source of the data. It is also important to make sure that the plot accurately represents the data and does not distort or misrepresent the information being presented.