How to Assign J''-J' Values in Rotational Spectrum with Only Energy Value?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jl29488
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
If I have the energy value (in cm-1) of a specific line in the rotational spectrum, how do I find out/assign the correct J''-J' values?

I know the selection rules for J to be +/- 1 for each rotational transition but I'm not sure how you can correctly identify which J value it is if your only given the energy.. The rotational parameter B isn't specified either so I'm puzzled.

Any help?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think it is possible to assign anything to just a single line.
 
jl29488 said:
If I have the energy value (in cm-1) of a specific line in the rotational spectrum, how do I find out/assign the correct J''-J' values?

I know the selection rules for J to be +/- 1 for each rotational transition but I'm not sure how you can correctly identify which J value it is if your only given the energy.. The rotational parameter B isn't specified either so I'm puzzled.

Any help?
Do you know what the molecule is?