Find most likely values of L, S, J for barium

• Thread starter Kara386
  • Start date
In summary, the spectrum of barium contains a series of energy levels (1.521, 1.567, 1.676 eV) and the question asks for the most likely values of L, S, and J. Using the Lande interval rule and assuming the levels are part of a triplet, the values of L, S, and J can be determined as follows: L = 0.5, S = 1, and J = 1.5. This gives a possible value of j = 0.5, which is the nearest possible value to the one calculated. This method may give multiple possibilities for the values of L, S, and J.
Kara386

Homework Statement

The spectrum of barium contains the following series of energy levels (given relative to ground):
1.521, 1.567, 1.676 (all in eV)
What are the most likely values of L, S, J?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the Lande interval rule, giving the lowest state the value j, then the 1.567 level j+1 and j+2 for 1.676. If the change between 1.521 and 1.567 is ##\Delta E = 0.046## and the change between 1.567 and 1.676 is ##\Delta E_2 = 0.109##, then ##\Delta E_2 \approx \frac{12}{5} \Delta E##. So by the interval rule
##\Delta E = 2B(j+1)## (1)
##\frac{12}{5}\Delta E = 2B(j+2)## (2)
Dividing (1) by (2) to get rid of the constant,
##\frac{5}{12} = \frac{j+1}{j+2}## which would give me ##j = -\frac{2}{7}##. Which is wrong. But that's the only method I can think of! Have I made a mistake or should I be using a different approach?

I'm also very confused by the phrase 'most likely' values; should the method I'm meant to use give multiple possibilities? Thanks for any help!

Do you know other relevant rules beside Lande? Even then, it is a rule, not an exact law. What values for j are possible in Barium (e.g. integer, half integer ...)? What is the nearest possible value to the one you calculated?

Likes Kara386
DrDu said:
Do you know other relevant rules beside Lande? Even then, it is a rule, not an exact law. What values for j are possible in Barium (e.g. integer, half integer ...)? What is the nearest possible value to the one you calculated?
Hi, thanks for your reply! Fairly sure I've solved it, assumed the levels were part of a triplet as the question says a series of energy levels, which would mean the j values are j, j+1, j+2 with j associated with the lowest energy levels. Then S = 1 for a triplet and J = L + S gives you the L value.

1. What is the purpose of finding the most likely values of L, S, and J for barium?

The purpose of finding the most likely values of L, S, and J for barium is to determine the electronic configuration and energy levels of barium atoms. This information is essential for understanding the chemical and physical properties of barium and its behavior in different environments.

2. How are the most likely values of L, S, and J for barium determined?

The most likely values of L, S, and J for barium are determined through spectroscopic techniques, such as atomic emission or absorption spectroscopy. These techniques involve studying the interaction of light with barium atoms, which allows scientists to determine the energy levels and electron configurations.

3. Why is barium used specifically in this study?

Barium is used in this study because it is an element with a relatively simple electronic structure, making it easier to study and understand. Its properties and behavior can also provide valuable insights into the behavior of other elements with similar electronic configurations.

4. What are the possible values for L, S, and J for barium?

The possible values for L, S, and J for barium are determined by the quantum numbers that govern the electronic structure of atoms. L (azimuthal quantum number) can have values from 0 to n-1, where n is the principal quantum number. S (spin quantum number) can have values of +1/2 or -1/2. J (total angular momentum quantum number) can have values from |L-S| to L+S. Therefore, for barium (with n=6), the possible values are L=0,1,2,3,4,5; S=+1/2 or -1/2; and J=|L-1/2| to L+1/2.

5. How can the most likely values of L, S, and J for barium be used in practical applications?

The most likely values of L, S, and J for barium can be used in practical applications such as the development of new materials, understanding chemical reactions, and in medical imaging techniques. The knowledge of barium's electronic structure can also aid in the identification and analysis of barium-containing compounds in various industries.