1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to avoid out of state tuition

  1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    If I wanted to go to a school that's out of state, and I moved to that state to go to that school, I'd still have to pay out of state tuition, basically because I just got there and haven't paid any taxes for that state? What if I got a job there? Would I still have to live there a while to officially become a "resident" and not have to pay the out of state tuition? Anyone know?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2


    User Avatar

    States require you live there and pay taxes there for between 6 months and 2 years (depending on the state) before you are considered a resident for tuition purposes. You must begin to establish residency as soon as you arrive - registering your car in the state, registering to vote, etc.
  4. Mar 23, 2013 #3
    When I applied for residency at the university I'm currently at: I was required to sign a statement that I did not move to the state specifically for school. (I qualified for residency because it was my wife's state of residence when we got married)

    There should be a policy on the school's website regarding residency requirements. Some only allow you to apply for residency IF you've lived there for a few years without actually going to school. (otherwise, nearly every upperclassmen could apply for residency ;) )
  5. Mar 23, 2013 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

  6. Mar 28, 2013 #5
    You can also do what I did, and marry a resident.

    Hey, it's not like I planned it that way.

    -Dave K
  7. Mar 28, 2013 #6


    User Avatar
    Education Advisor

    Have you seen if you can obtain an out-of-state scholarship? When I was an undergrad, I got a scholarship from multiple schools waiving out-of-state tuition fees.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook