Choosing a College for a Bachelor's in Physics: NC State vs. UNC Chapel Hill

In summary: It's difficult to know funding statuses, but as an undergraduate, that generally shouldn't be a problem.In summary, the following schools are all great options for a physics major, but it is important to focus on doing well in your undergraduate studies in order to have a competitive graduate school application. Both NC State and UNC Chapel Hill have great programs and research opportunities, and the time spent at each school was great.
Kalebh03
I need help in deciding on a college to attend for a bachelor's in physics.

I live in North Carolina, and I got accepted into the following schools:

Appalachian State University
Georgia Tech
NC State
The Ohio State University
Illinois Urbana-Champaign
University of Maryland College Park
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Wisconsin Madison
UNC Charlotte
and I'm waiting to here back from ESU.

I was kind of stupid during my application process and thought that I would not get into a single school, and so I applied to as many as I could, and this cost me time to apply for scholarships, which is why I most likely will not attend any out of state schools, which narrows my list down to

NC State
Appalachian State University
UNC Charlotte
UNC Chapel HIll

I also got a $13,500 and $4000 scholarship from Ohio State, but as an out of state student, the price would still be higher than an in state school with no financial aid.

For my in state schools, I believe NC State and UNC Chapel Hill would be the best for physics because they are both larger and have more rigorous programs and research opportunities, so my dilemma is: which do I chose and why?

More Info:

I will be getting interviewed at NC State this weekend as a finalist for the Goodnight Scholars Scholarship, and if I receive this scholarship, I will likely go to NC State just because it will be so much cheaper, but I have heard that Chapel Hill has more funding for research, and I'm not sure how available research is for undergraduates at either school. I've also heard that NC State's physics courses are much easier than UNC because they are at a lower level.

Something I've heard is that it shouldn't really matter what undergrad school you go to, but it does matter what graduate school you go to.

Sorry if this is kind of scattered, so is my brain right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
BOO NC STATE!

--from a lifelong Tar Heel ;) (Thank god you didn't say Dook!)

But seriously, they're both great schools with plenty of research opportunities for undergrads. Undergrad is really what you make of it: it's possible to blossom at a mediocre school and it's possible to wilt at MIT. Best of luck.

TeethWhitener said:
BOO NC STATE!

--from a lifelong Tar Heel ;) (Thank god you didn't say Dook!)

But seriously, they're both great schools with plenty of research opportunities for undergrads. Undergrad is really what you make of it: it's possible to blossom at a mediocre school and it's possible to wilt at MIT. Best of luck.
Thank you for the reply and love the enthusiasm for your school. Do you know any information that could be compared between the two? Like would there be any outstanding difference between the programs? And, what was your time at UNC like?

Also, yeah no Duke, but I've heard they're actually pretty great physics-wise. I'm in early college, and I'll be graduating with an A.S and an A.A degree and my high school diploma, and they don't accept any community college credits.

Kalebh03 said:
Do you know any information that could be compared between the two? Like would there be any outstanding difference between the programs?
I doubt it. Focus on doing well in your studies and get some research and teaching experience if you can and you should come out of school with a pretty competitive resume regardless of which school you choose.
Kalebh03 said:
And, what was your time at UNC like?
It was great. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot and was able to get into a good grad program. Full disclosure: my sister and stepfather both went to NCSU and did quite well also.
Kalebh03 said:
Also, yeah no Duke, but I've heard they're actually pretty great physics-wise.
Yeah Duke’s great (if you can afford it). I have a coworker who did his grad work at Duke in engineering and several high school friends who also ended up there doing a variety of things.

I cannot comment on the other schools, but NC State is a fine, classic, school for undergraduate physics. I'm not entirely sure who is saying the classes are at a lower level; they seem to be quite standard, comparing with my personal experience and the literature, teaching from the standard textbooks you would expect undergraduate physics to be taught with. I will comment that this department has a lack of diverse options for physics electives (no problem with the standard courses though). It may theoretically be possible, but they don't seem to be offered regularly. The SPS room used to be very active with students basically camping out there, but COVID has put a damper on things. TeethWhitener mentioned obtaining some teaching experience; I am not too familiar with the Learning Assistant program, but it is either on hiatus or severely reduced at the moment, I think.

It's difficult to know funding statuses, but as an undergraduate, that generally shouldn't be an issue, since these are both fully-fledged departments in research-based institutions, so you should be able to find research experiences in active research groups in either. At worst, you can even branch out into other departments such as engineering, materials science, or chemistry. I definitely know there are undergraduates performing research at NCSU, and they hold annual undergraduate research symposiums (probably like every other place). Some parts of the department are more active than others, especially with undergrads; you can probably check the professors' websites to see how many undergrads they currently have in groups. You shouldn't think too hard about specific research topics yet, but off the top of my head, the largest groups/clusters are probably the condensed matter, biophysics, astrophysics, and nuclear physics groups, so there would probably be the most opportunities for undergraduates there. You probably won't start research for at least a year, possibly more though, so you have plenty of time to explore.

If you're from NC, you probably have some idea of the cities, but living in Raleigh is a lot nicer than Chapel Hill in my opinion if you want more than a college town. Theoretically, Chapel Hill is part of the Triangle, but it's not a trek you would make all the time, whereas if you live in Raleigh, you'll have access to Greenways and everything else that a real, medium-sized city would have to offer without having to travel (~40 minutes) for it.

Likes TeethWhitener and hutchphd

1. What are the differences in the physics programs at NC State and UNC Chapel Hill?

The physics programs at NC State and UNC Chapel Hill are both highly ranked and offer a strong foundation in physics. However, there are some key differences between the two programs. NC State's program is more focused on applied physics and engineering, while UNC Chapel Hill's program has a stronger emphasis on theoretical and experimental physics. Additionally, NC State has a larger physics department with more faculty and resources, while UNC Chapel Hill's program is smaller and more intimate.

2. Which school has a better reputation for physics?

Both NC State and UNC Chapel Hill have excellent reputations for their physics programs. NC State is known for its strong engineering focus and practical applications of physics, while UNC Chapel Hill is known for its theoretical and experimental research. Ultimately, the reputation of a program depends on your personal interests and career goals.

3. How do the research opportunities compare between NC State and UNC Chapel Hill?

Both NC State and UNC Chapel Hill offer numerous research opportunities for physics students. NC State's larger department and engineering focus may provide more opportunities for applied research, while UNC Chapel Hill's smaller program may offer more opportunities for hands-on experience in theoretical and experimental research. It is important to research the specific research projects and opportunities available at each school to determine which aligns more with your interests.

4. Are there any notable alumni from the physics programs at NC State and UNC Chapel Hill?

Both NC State and UNC Chapel Hill have produced successful alumni in the field of physics. Some notable alumni from NC State include Nobel Prize winner John C. Mather and NASA astronaut Christina Koch. UNC Chapel Hill's alumni include Nobel Prize winner Oliver Smithies and NASA astronaut Mae Jemison. It is important to note that the success of alumni does not necessarily reflect the quality of the program, as individual drive and opportunities also play a significant role.

5. Which school has better job prospects for physics graduates?

Both NC State and UNC Chapel Hill have strong job prospects for physics graduates. NC State's engineering focus may provide more opportunities in industries such as aerospace and technology, while UNC Chapel Hill's theoretical and experimental research may lead to careers in academia or research institutions. It is important to consider your career goals and research the job market in your specific area of interest to determine which school may offer better job prospects for you.