1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to balance gravitational energy and kinetic energy?

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "In Fig. 8-33, a runaway truck with failed brakes is moving downgrade at ##130\frac{km}{h}## just before the driver steers the truck up a friction-less emergency escape ramp with an inclination of ##θ=15°##. The truck's mass is ##1.2⋅10^4kg##. What minimum length L must the ramp have if the truck is to stop momentarily along it?
    vZcsHt6.png

2. Relevant equations
    ##v=130\frac{km}{h}=\frac{325}{9}\frac{m}{s}##
    ##m=1.2⋅10^4kg##
    ##θ=15°##
    ##K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
    ##-K=-Fy=-(mgsinθ)(y)##
    ##y=Lsinθ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I figured that the gravitational work must equal to the work produced by the truck and its velocity. And gravity does work only in the vertical direction, which is why I'm expressing gravitational work in terms of the force and the vertical distance ##y##. This is what I did, and it isn't giving me the correct answer.

##K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
    ##-K=-Fy=-(mgsinθ)(y)##
    ##K=Fy=(mgsinθ)(y)=(mgsinθ)(Lsinθ)##
    ##(mgsinθ)(Lsinθ)=(\frac{1}{2}mv^2)##
    ##(L)(g)(sin^2θ)=(\frac{1}{2}v^2)##
    ##L=(\frac{1}{2g})(v^2)(csc^2θ)##

Evaluating this gives me: ##L=993.2m##, which is not the answer from the back of the book. I feel like there's something I'm not understanding. Can someone help me? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the potential energy at high y?

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3
    It's not ##(mg)(sinθ)(y)##, is it?

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. How much work you have to do if you raise a mass m to height y? Does the work depend on the path along the mass moves?

6. Oct 2, 2016 #5
    The formula for work is just force dot distance, so ##W=(F)(y)(cosθ)##, depending on which angle we're using.

It does not, I believe.

7. Oct 2, 2016 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You said y was the vertical component of the displacement, y=Lsin(θ). What is the direction of the force?

8. Oct 2, 2016 #7
    Isn't it forty degrees? Additionally, I feel like I may have to express velocity in terms of its x- and y-components. Am I wrong?

9. Oct 2, 2016 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What force acts on the truck along the upward ramp?

10. Oct 2, 2016 #9
    Gravity.

11. Oct 2, 2016 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. What is the direction of gravity?

12. Oct 2, 2016 #11
    It's always pointing down... unless you shift the axes of the FBD, I think.

13. Oct 2, 2016 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is vertical, pointing down. What is the potential energy of a body of mass m at height y?

14. Oct 2, 2016 #13
    Is it ##U=(F_G)(y)##? I've also said that this is equal to the quantity ##[(mg)(sin\theta)]⋅[(L)(sin\theta)]##. This isn't correct, is it?

15. Oct 2, 2016 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the potential energy is mgy and y = Lsin(θ). You were not correct.

16. Oct 2, 2016 #15
    So the force of gravity is not ##(mg)(sin\theta)## when doing energy calculations? In any case, this gave me the right answer.

##L=(\frac{1}{2g})(v^2)(csc\theta)=(\frac{1s^2}{19.6m})(\frac{105625}{81}\frac{m^2}{s^2})(csc15°)=257m##

Thanks. I appreciate it.

17. Oct 2, 2016 #16

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The force of gravity is mg. Its component along the slope is mgsin(θ), downward. You can also calculate the change of potential energy along the slope. It is also mgsin(θ) L.

18. Oct 2, 2016 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The angle of interest is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of the distance you are multiplying by. If the angle between the two is θ then the work is Fd cos(θ).
    Gravity is vertical. If you want to know the height the truck goes, that is a vertical distance. The angle between the two is zero.
    If you want to know the distance up a ramp at angle θ, the angle between that and g is π/2-θ.

19. Oct 3, 2016 #18
    I see.

I will have to remember that in the future. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted