How to Be a Highly-Recommended Physicist?

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, as a physics M.S. student, it is important to strike a balance between admitting what you don't know and using your existing knowledge to not hold up research. It is also important to not be arrogant and to focus on learning from mistakes. Prioritizing and picking up necessary material as you go along is key, rather than knowing a lot of textbook knowledge or advanced math. Finally, do not worry about receiving praise from your adviser, but instead focus on doing your best and hoping for the best outcome.
bjnartowt
How to Be a "Highly-Recommended" Physicist?

I'm doing work for a professor, and I want him to sing the praises of me when I inexorably ask him for a letter of recommendation. What are some do-s and don't-s for someone in my situation? I think I've found out a "don't" already: don't try and assume you know more than you actually do. I was assigned research in relativistic quantum mechanics, and all I knew was that moving clocks slowed down, lengths contracted, and also the moving clocks got heavier. I was afraid to be like "I don't know any of that stuff", because I didn't want to slow the research down with my ignorance. Needless to say, I erred on the side of "I know this stuff already", and may have inadvertently come across as arrogant and perhaps incorrigible, both of which "impressions" would warrant mention in a letter of recommendation I would have sent to PhD programs I will eventually apply to.

I guess I have two questions:

1) Given that I'm a physics M.S. student (at an M.S.-only school) without a physics B.S./B.A. (admittedly, a very unique situation: your best advice is still welcome), how do I strike a balance between "admit what you don't know" and "use what you do know to not look like a screaming physics-dunce, and not hold up research"?

2) More generally, what are some good practices for me to engage in, such that my present adviser sings praises of me being a "good" and highly-recommended student?

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, is this theoretical or experimental? Sounds like the former.

bjnartowt said:
<snip>
2) More generally, what are some good practices for me to engage in, such that my present adviser sings praises of me being a "good" and highly-recommended student?

The best advice I can give you is to demonstrate that you can learn from your mistakes. That's surprisingly sufficient in most cases.

In general try not to be arrogant. And don't assume it is a sine qua non to have a physics (B.S) to do research in physics.

In research there's always vast territories where your knowledge is very limited, and what you master is an infinitesmall piece of land.

My suggestion is not to be obsessed with what you don't know, but to focus on things you need to clear off ASAP to move forward in your research. Picking up the material as you go along is the best time management possible... Knowing lots of textbook stuff or an incredible amount of math. may not move you an inch, if you can't define your NEXT ACTION... So set your priorities very carefully.

Relativistic QM is a broad field, so stop worrying about the details and try to figure out what the absolute essentials FOR YOU are, before delving into more theory.

A professor "singing praises" for a newbie M.S student is not a common thing to be observed, so stop worrying about this kind of thing also.

Try your best and hope for the best, and in the end things will work out.

1. How long does it take to become a highly-recommended physicist?

Becoming a highly-recommended physicist typically requires a minimum of 8 years of education and training, including a 4-year undergraduate degree in physics or a related field, followed by a 4-year doctoral program. However, the time it takes to become a highly-recommended physicist can vary depending on individual circumstances and career goals.

2. What skills are essential for being a highly-recommended physicist?

Some essential skills for being a highly-recommended physicist include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, excellent mathematical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Good communication skills and the ability to work well in a team are also important.

3. What types of career opportunities are available for highly-recommended physicists?

Highly-recommended physicists have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, including positions in research and development, academia, government agencies, and private industries such as aerospace, telecommunications, and energy. They can also pursue careers in fields such as data science, finance, and consulting.

4. What can I do to stand out as a highly-recommended physicist?

To stand out as a highly-recommended physicist, it is important to continually develop your skills and knowledge through research, publications, and attending conferences. Networking and building relationships with other physicists and professionals in related fields can also help to increase your visibility and opportunities.

5. How important is staying current with advancements in physics for being a highly-recommended physicist?

Staying current with advancements in physics is crucial for being a highly-recommended physicist. The field of physics is constantly evolving, and being aware of new discoveries, technologies, and theories is essential for staying competitive and contributing to the field. This can involve reading scientific journals, attending conferences, and collaborating with other physicists.