Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Become MATLAB Expert Quickly

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    Yes. I realize that time and use are probably the only real ways to become an expert, but...
    I foresee a need to learn MATLAB rather quickly. I know some basics of programming and I have some experience with MATLAB. I feel like the best way to advance my knowledge to the next level is to try to make something with MATLAB. But I am not so good at coming up with project ideas that would make use of some of the more advanced features since I am not well acclimated with those features.

I would really like to make use of the object oriented capabilities of MATLAB. The main issue is that I have never used OO before and so I don't think like that. Everything I have done has been procedural in nature so I am not sure what kind of project I could do that would make use of all that goodness.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Try doing a simple simulation like a thrown baseball without air resistance or spin and then add these into your simulation and draw some charts.

Check amazon there are several books on matlab too.

4. Jan 9, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you already finished this project you were starting 3 days ago?
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=565790

5. Jan 9, 2012 #4
    Hi AlphaZero :smile: They are not mutually exclusive. The CFD thread was also a 'request for ideas'. I have books and I am currently working them from cover to cover...but I feel like I could be a little more proactive about the learning process by finding something a little more 'exciting' to work on than text exercises alone. Any thoughts on a good project would be nice.

See the other thread for one idea I have.

6. Jan 11, 2012 #5

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook