1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate displacement from density?

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1
    If this the wrong section to post this, please know that I am very sorry, but I don't know much about any of the things going on, on here so please bare with me.

Say you got some powder, and say this powder has a density of 1.06g/cm3 (or 1.06g/mL, right?).

Now say you want to put 2500mg of this powder in a solvent mixture (made from cottonseed oil, 0.3mL benzyl alcohol and 1.7mL benzyl benzoate), that you want it to be total of 10ml, with the powder being at a concentration of 250mg/mL

How would one go about calculating the displacement caused by this powder, which will then determine how much oil one would need to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2
    Simple way of putting it:

Powder has a density of 1.06g/cm3

How much will 1000mg of the powder displace 10ml of water

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3
    If the powder is completely insoluble, and does not form any kind of compounds with water, then the resultant volume is a simple sum of the volume of the powder and of the liquid.

Otherwise, you will need the properties of the resultant solution/compound.

5. Aug 10, 2012 #4
    Okay let us say the powder is insoluble, how would one go about calculating thing (I need a formula)

6. Aug 10, 2012 #5
    Say the concentration is c mg/mL.

Then in volume V ml of the mixture, you will have m = cV mg of the powder.

The density of the powder is ρ mg/mL, so mass m corresponds to volume v = m/ρ mL.

Then the volume of the filler liquid is u = V - v mL.

I am sure you can substitute and simplify the rest. But mind the units!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook