How to Calculate Gravitational Field Strength at 400000m from Earth?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Harmony
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
Distance form the Earth's surface: Gravitational potential/MJkg-1
0 : -62.72
400000 : -59.12

Deduce the Earth's gravitational field strength at a height of 400000m.

Since g=-GM/r^2 and V=-GM/r , I tried to solve this question using V/r. But I failed to get the correct answer. Any suggestion on how to approach the question?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation in the first paragraph.

However, be sure to use the distance from the center of the Earth in your calculation (and NOT the height above the surface)!
 
The gravitational field is given by
[tex]F_G/m=-\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]
so at the surface it is [itex]-9.8[/itex]
and at the required distance [itex]-8.4[/itex] mega Newtons per kilogram.
 
Last edited: