How to calculate (mechanical) clutch forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a small clutch cable testing machine and the need to determine the amount of force needed to operate it. The solution is to attach a load cell to the clutch pedal and measure the force in PSI. The force on the clutch is increased by the ratio of the clutch arm length, and may also be increased by the throwout fork design. Additionally, the force may vary as the clutch is pressed due to the diaphragm spring. A simplified drawing is also mentioned to aid in understanding the mechanics of the machine.
kanibal
Hello
i am working on a small clutch cable testing machine this machine can give the lifetime of clutch cable
i need some assistance to figure out how much forces i need to apply on this mechanism , and because the cable related directly in the clutch I'm asking if the force in the clutch in the same us what we give to the pedal example : if i push the pedal with 200 N how mach force is applied into release the clutch it is the same 200 N or more and why !
Automo74_ypagcc.jpg

this is the mechanism i made

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simple solution is to attach a load cell to the clutch pedal and press it down slowly and release it slowly, it will give you force in PSI at its peek in both directions of travel. Just repeat till you have a base line and average it, then adjust the machine accordingly.

Likes kanibal
kanibal said:
if i push the pedal with 200 N how mach force is applied into release the clutch it is the same 200 N or more and why !

With regard to the above question the force on the clutch is first increased at the clutch pedal assembly. The force you place on the pedal is multiplied by the ratio of the clutch arm length between the pivot and the pedal and the clutch arm length between the clutch cable connection and the pivot.
ie. F clutch cable = F foot x L foot pedal / L cable connection
Additionally, the actual force on the clutch may also be increased over the cable force by a similar design on the throwout fork between the clutch plate bearing contact point(s) and the clutch cable attachment point

Likes kanibal
Its worth noting that the PSI will peek and then drop as the clutch pedal is pressed due to the (release point) on the diaphragm spring. I am assuming that "peek" is what you are looking for. When the throw-out Bearing is pressed against the diaphragm spring passed the middle point of travel it (breaks) and becomes easier to push once its passed that point due to less resistance in the spring.

Likes kanibal
thank you both of you for the answer

How the machine would look like if I asked you making this machine if possible with a simplified drawing to make it easier to understand

Looking at your drawing, and making some rough guesses.

If the ratio of the distance from the clutch pedal 'pad' to the cable attachment point is 3:1, that will be the mechanical advantage you have on the cable, so 200N of force on the pedal will be 600N of force on the cable.. Then once more you look at the mechanical advantage the cable has on the throwout bearing.. Most designs similar to what you show have about a 3:1 ratio again, so the 600N of force on the cable is multiplied to 1800N

@qjonesy I think you mean "peak" (Maximum) not "peek" (take a look at)

1. How do I calculate the mechanical clutch force?

The mechanical clutch force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the clutch plates and the contact pressure between the plates.

2. What is the coefficient of friction in a clutch system?

The coefficient of friction in a clutch system is the measure of the amount of friction between the clutch plates. It is dependent on factors such as the material of the plates, surface finish, and operating conditions.

3. How do I determine the contact pressure in a clutch system?

The contact pressure in a clutch system can be determined by dividing the total force acting on the clutch by the area of contact between the plates.

4. Is the mechanical clutch force affected by the size of the clutch?

Yes, the mechanical clutch force is affected by the size of the clutch. A larger clutch will have a larger contact area and therefore a higher contact pressure, resulting in a higher mechanical clutch force.

5. How do the materials of the clutch plates impact the calculation of clutch forces?

The materials of the clutch plates can greatly impact the calculation of clutch forces. Different materials have different coefficients of friction and wear rates, which can affect the overall performance and longevity of the clutch system.