How to calculate natural frequency of timing belt

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
friscoboya
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Hello

I am designing a shaft and it will be powered via belt pulley system. The ideal RPM of the shaft is 8000 RPM. How do I calculate the natural frequency of the timing belt to ensure resonance is never met? From what I read online it has to do with belt pretension, but even then I am little lost. Equations and links would be helpful.

upload_2018-11-28_17-17-46.png

Thank you
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-11-28_17-17-46.png
    upload_2018-11-28_17-17-46.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 2,294
Physics news on Phys.org
Not really my field but if I had to approach this problem I would look at this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_vibration

Treat each unsupported length of belt as a potentially vibrating string. Remember the tension in each side is different when its running. Calculate likely resonant frequencies for both sides.

Then think about possible drivers at or near those frequencies? For example the rate at which teeth engage or disengage with the ends of an unsupported length? Perhaps the pulley speeds (in revolutions per second) or perhaps the whole belt speed (in revolutions per second)?

But perhaps there is a more formal method?