How to Calculate Peak Net Horsepower from Vehicle Weight and G-force?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
<3.7kw
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
If I know the vehicle weight in pounds and I know peak G-force.
Can I find peak net horsepower? If yes, how would I do it?

I have an accelerometer on my “Motor Driven Cycle” and I have weighed myself and the cycle. To keep the cycle legally a Motor Driven Cycle it must be under 5 bhp. If I can get net hp I can account for the other relevant frictional losses to estimate bhp.

Thank you for any help you might give.
<3.7kw
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Power is force times distance/time, so if you use f=ma with the accelerator data you can find force, then you plug-in speed at the time of the measurement.