How to Calculate q, w, Delta T, Delta U, and Delta H for Adiabatic Expansion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ku1005
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculation Delta
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 26K views
ku1005
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
A sample of 6.0 mol N2 is originally confined in 30 dm^3( ie L) at 273K and then undergoes adiabatic expansion against a constant pressure of 95kpa until the volume has increased by a factor of 2.0. calculate q,w,delta T, Delta U and Delta H (The final pressure of the gas is not necessarily 95 kpa)

For this Q I know

q= 0 since the process is adiabatic

therfore delta U = w (work) = Cp (Heat Capacity constant Pressure) Delta T

Also I know

T(final) = T(initial) * (V(i)/V(f))^(1/c)


Should I use work = 95 *30 or should I use the heat capacity method...as these yield different results??

OR is there another method to solve the rest of the Q??...any hints/suggestions would be great!

cheers

rhys
 
Physics news on Phys.org
just out of curiosity, are you a UWA student doing CHEM2210 by any chance?