How to Calculate Stock Prices?

• Thread starter Embison
  • Start date
In summary, investing $10,000 at .50c per stock and cashing out when the stock price hits $100 would result in a profit of $1,990,000. Similarly, investing $10,000 at $2.50 per stock and cashing out when the stock price hits $125 would result in a profit of $1,990,000. Lastly, investing $10,000 at $10 per stock and cashing out when the stock price hits $650 would result in a profit of $1,990,000. The formula for calculating these profits is (selling price ÷ purchase price) x investment.
Embison
Poster has been reminded that all schoolwork-type questions go in HH and work must be shown
If you invest $10,000 at .50c a stock and cashout when the stock price hits $100, how much would you make?

If you invest $10,000 at $2.50 a stock and cashout when the stock price hits $125, how much would you make?

If you invest $10,000 at $10 a stock and cashout when the stock price hits $650, how much would you make?

And can you explain how to do the math? I have no idea how to figure out the totals.

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it's easier to do it per 'stock' ? You invest 50 c (.50 c seems too cheap ?) and sell for $ 100 so you make $ 99.50 per unit. For $10000 you can buy 20000 shares at 50 c, so then you would make 20000 shares x $ 99.50 /share = 1990000 in your dreams !

Don't try this at home: if you can't do the math it's much better to stay clear of the stock market ! :smile:

Likes billy_joule
BvU said:
Perhaps it's easier to do it per 'stock' ? You invest 50 c (.50 c seems too cheap ?) and sell for $ 100 so you make $ 99.50 per unit. For $10000 you can buy 20000 shares at 50 c, so then you would make 20000 shares x $ 99.50 /share = 1990000 in your dreams !

Don't try this at home: if you can't do the math it's much better to stay clear of the stock market ! :smile:

Thank you for helpin me out. I really appreciate it!

BvU said:

Isnt the easiest and fastest way to do it like this? $100 divided by .50c = 200 multiplied by $10,000 = $2,000,000

Yes, but the 2 M isn't earnings: it is earnings + investment. For this example the difference is small, in practice you will need a very very big investment to earn $ 1990000 !

BvU said:
Yes, but the 2 M isn't earnings: it is earnings + investment. For this example the difference is small, in practice you will need a very very big investment to earn $ 1990000 !

I wasnt talking about the $2,000,000 total I was talking about the equation itself. I can just include minus $10,000 at the end of what I wrote. I was saying isn't the way I did the equation much simpler and easier to follow than the way you did yours?

Yes. The mere fact that you asked the question made me tread very carefully. It's really very simple arithmetic either way.

BvU said:

Stocks which sell for less than $1.00 / share are known as 'penny stocks'. These companies are not traded on most of the familiar stock exchanges (which set minimum share prices for a stock to remain listed on the exchange) and are highly speculative.

In 'general math' and in dreams everything is possible :smile:

Embison said:
If you invest $10,000 at .50c a stock and cashout when the stock price hits $100, how much would you make?

If you invest $10,000 at $2.50 a stock and cashout when the stock price hits $125, how much would you make?

If you invest $10,000 at $10 a stock and cashout when the stock price hits $650, how much would you make?

And can you explain how to do the math? I have no idea how to figure out the totals.

Thank you for any help!

Do you really mean .5c per stock in the first case? That is 1/2 cent per stock! Did you mean $.5 = 50c per stock?

From the book answer my money is on the half dollar. A sure bet :smile:

[edit] it's too late; I'm mixing up threads !

Embison said:
Isnt the easiest and fastest way to do it like this? $100 divided by .50c = 200 multiplied by $10,000 = $2,000,000

No: $100 ##\div## .5 c = $20,000. If you mean $100 ##\div## 50c = $200, then that is what you should write.

Lesson: years ago in a town I lived in at the time, a supermarket published ads in the newspaper announcing a sale price of .5c per lb. on some grocery item (I forget what). I think that somebody must have arrived with a truck, filled it up with the sale item, and given the store $10 (instead of $2000); because that was the advertised price, the store had to honor the announcement. From that time onward the store never, ever made that error again, and nor should you.

1. How do I calculate the stock price using the dividend discount model?

The dividend discount model (DDM) is a method for determining the intrinsic value of a stock by discounting future dividends. The formula for calculating the stock price using DDM is: Stock price = (dividend per share / required rate of return) + expected growth rate. This formula assumes that the dividends will grow at a constant rate in the future.

2. What is the required rate of return and how do I determine it?

The required rate of return is the minimum rate of return that investors expect to earn on their investment. It takes into account the risk associated with the investment and the opportunity cost of investing in other options. The required rate of return can be calculated using the capital asset pricing model (CAPM) or by considering the current market conditions and the company's financial health.

3. What is the P/E ratio and how does it affect the stock price?

The price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio is a valuation metric that compares a company's stock price to its earnings per share. A higher P/E ratio suggests that investors are willing to pay a premium for the company's future earnings potential. This can drive up the stock price. Conversely, a lower P/E ratio may indicate that the stock is undervalued and could lead to a decrease in stock price.

4. How do I use the discounted cash flow (DCF) method to calculate stock prices?

The discounted cash flow (DCF) method is another valuation model that takes into account the company's future cash flows. The formula for calculating stock prices using DCF is: Stock price = (present value of future cash flows / number of outstanding shares). This method requires making assumptions about future cash flows and selecting an appropriate discount rate.

5. Can I use historical data to predict stock prices?

While past performance can provide some insights into a company's potential for future growth, it is not a reliable method for predicting stock prices. Stock prices are influenced by many factors, including market conditions, economic trends, and company-specific news. It is important to consider multiple factors and use various valuation methods when calculating stock prices.