How to Calculate the Diagonal Length of a Parallelogram?

Yes, that is correct. In summary, to solve for the diagonal length of a parallelogram, you need to first find the value of (a+b) using the equation 2(a+b) = circumference of the parallelogram. Then, substitute that value into the equation (a+b) + x = circumference of one of the triangles. Solving for x will give you the length of the diagonal.
ZebraGa
The diagonal divides the parallelogram into two triangles, each triangle circumference is 6.21 m. The circumference of the parallelogram is 7.12 m. Calculate the diagonal length.
I need tips how to solve this problem.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ZebraGa said:
The diagonal divides the parallelogram into two triangles, each triangle circumference is 6.21 m. The circumference of the parallelogram is 7.12 m. Calculate the diagonal length.
I need tips how to solve this problem.

Circumference is the distance around a circle. Perimeter is the distance around a polygon.

Make a sketch ... solve the system of equations for $\color{red}{x}$

skeeter said:
Circumference is the distance around a circle. Perimeter is the distance around a polygon.

Make a sketch ... solve the system of equations for $\color{red}{x}$

Sorry I'm a bit lost, I haven't had math for years, can you explain it a bit further?

Using the first equation, solve for the quantity $(a+b)$.

Substitute the value you find for $(a+b)$ into the second equation and solve for the length of the diagonal, $\color{red}{x}$.

2(a+b)=7.12
x=3.56

(a+b)+3.56=6.21
x=2.65
Diagonal is 2.65 m?

That's correct.

ZebraGa said:
2(a+b)=7.12
x=3.56

correction ... (a+b) = 3.56

(a+b)+3.56=6.21

correction ... 3.56 + x = 6.21

x=2.65

ok?

1. What is a parallelogram diagonal?

A parallelogram diagonal is a line segment that connects two opposite vertices of a parallelogram.

2. How do you find the length of a parallelogram diagonal?

To find the length of a parallelogram diagonal, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Simply square the length of one side of the parallelogram, square the length of the other side, and add these two values together. Then, take the square root of the sum to find the length of the diagonal.

3. Can you find a parallelogram diagonal using only the measurements of the sides?

Yes, you can find a parallelogram diagonal using only the measurements of the sides. You can use the formula d = √(a² + b²), where d is the length of the diagonal, a is the length of one side, and b is the length of the other side.

4. How many diagonals does a parallelogram have?

A parallelogram has two diagonals.

5. Can a parallelogram have equal diagonals?

Yes, a parallelogram can have equal diagonals. This means that the two diagonals have the same length and are bisected by each other.