1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the electric potential inside of a sphere

1. Apr 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The density of the charge inside of the sphere is given-
    ro=a*r+b/r
    The electric potential on the outer layer of the sphere is phi=0
    The radius of the sphere is 58.4m
    r-is the distance from the center of the sphere
    What is the electric potential when r=15.4m?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically, what I tried to do the to do the field equation and integrate it between 58.4 and 15.4.
    That didnt work so im clueless to what I need to do.
    4*pi*r^2*E=(4*pi*R^3)ro/3epsilon

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2016 #2
    Like potential, the Electric field also varies with the distance from center. Did you get your electric field right? Your integration parameters seem to be fine, it may be possible that your Electric field is not right.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  4. Apr 22, 2016 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is R? This equation makes no sense.
    You have to do two integrations:
    the first is to get the charge within a given r to get E(r), along the lines of your equation but fixed up;
    then you integrate E(r) from the outer surface to r = 15.4m.
    Watch your signs.

5. Apr 22, 2016 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just FYI this problem can also be solved by solving the Poisson equation. In this case it becomes the second-order Euler-Cauchy equation. Boundary conditions are the potential and the E field at the surface. Just thought I'd throw it out in case you go on to advanced methods (actually not that advanced, let's call them "alternative approaches" though the math is more demanding than what you need to solve this problem your way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted