1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the erfc of a number

1. Sep 30, 2017 #1
    So the HW is actually about calculating the junction depth of phosphorus diffusion into a p-type wafer however that is not the problem I am having. The problem I am having is that the book tells me to calculate the erfc(#). However, my calculator does not seem to have an erfc function. In the book the do algebra with the function, for instance it says:

(1.1x10^30)erfc(x/(2sqrt(DT)) = (3x10^16) Solving for x yeilds: x = 2sqrt(DT)erfc^-1(.000273)

What am I missing here? How are they pulling x out of the erfc function? I have never even heard of an erfc function I have no idea what the properties of the function are. For instance if it were exp(x) then I can find x by taking the ln(exp(x)) but how do I do that with erfc?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2017 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The Wikipedia page on the Error Function may be helpful to you.

4. Sep 30, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can get ##\text{erfc}(x)## in terms of the so-called erf-function: ##\text{erfc}(x) = 1 - \text{erf}(x)##. Most calculators lack an "erf" button, but many of them have a "normal distribution" button, giving the cumulative distribution (CDF) of the standard normal distribution. If ##\Phi(x)## is the normal CDF we have
    $$\Phi(x) = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2} \text{erf} \left( \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}} \right)$$
    Thus,
    $$ 1-\Phi(\sqrt{2} y) = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2} \text{erf}(y)= \frac{1}{2} \text{erfc}(y)$$
    There are no exact, closed-form formulas for erfc or ##\Phi##, but many fast and accurate algorithms are available to compute numerical values reliably, so getting ##\Phi(x)## by pressing a button is really no different from getting ##\sin(x)## by pressing a button.

Note, however, if you want ##\text{erfc}^{-1}(z)## you need to solve the equation ##\text{erfc}(x) = z##. You can do that fairly quickly by trial-and-error methods, or by plotting, etc. You could also use fancy techniques like Newton's Method.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted