How to Calculate the pH of 0.001 M NaCl?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AdnamaLeigh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
AdnamaLeigh
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
How do you calculate the pH of 0.001 M NaCl? I was thinking of doing NaCl + H2O ---> HCl + NaOH but I don't know where to go from there if that's even the right step.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sodium Chloride is a strong electrolyte meaning it will disassociate completely in solution.
Strong electrolytes will not affect the pH of the solution as the acids / bases they form are also strong electrolytes.

A NaCl solution of any concentration should have (ideally) a pH of 7.


NaCl (aq) + H2O (l) ---> HCl (aq) + NaOH (aq)
HCl (aq) + NaOH (aq) --> NaCl (aq) + H2O (l)
 
Last edited:
The topic of ionic strength is practical with buffer preparation, however, I don't believe that it's an important factor with regard to the pH in this situation.
 
GCT said:
The topic of ionic strength is practical with buffer preparation, however, I don't believe that it's an important factor with regard to the pH in this situation.

It is an important factor in every solution containing ions. Even if it doesn't change numerical value of pH in this case, you can't assume that addition of neutral salt never changes pH of the solution.