How to calculate the size of a water accumulator

  • Thread starter Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
TSN79
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
I'm in need of a procedure to calculate the size of a hot water accumulator. I already know how to calculate the size based on a single value of needed energy, but not how to take into account the variation of hot water use during a day and such. Hope someone can help :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
I'm in need of a procedure to calculate the size of a hot water accumulator. I already know how to calculate the size based on a single value of needed energy, but not how to take into account the variation of hot water use during a day and such. Hope someone can help :)

Do you mean a hot water heater with storage tank instead? Accumulators are specific hydraulic equipment used for storing hydraulic energy typically.

CS
 
I think OP may be referring to accumulators that are used in homes in rural areas and in Boats/Yachts, that have their own pumps etc. Another name is pressure tanks and they prevent the pump from cycling on and off, all the time and also for prevention of water hammer.

As for sizing it would be best to talk to a plumber or plumbing store because there could be codes in your area. Here is a sample:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex1136
 
stewartcs said:
Do you mean a hot water heater with storage tank instead? Accumulators are specific hydraulic equipment used for storing hydraulic energy typically.
CS

It's simply a storage tank with an electric element (or other source of heat) in it that keeps tap water at a certain temperature. I use some equations show here...

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/design-hot-water-system-d_92.html

...but although they consider time, they don't consider variation in usage. Supposedly there are ways to do this graphically, but I haven't found anything on it...