Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the size of a water accumulator

1. Jul 17, 2008 #1
    I'm in need of a procedure to calculate the size of a hot water accumulator. I already know how to calculate the size based on a single value of needed energy, but not how to take into account the variation of hot water use during a day and such. Hope someone can help :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Do you mean a hot water heater with storage tank instead? Accumulators are specific hydraulic equipment used for storing hydraulic energy typically.

4. Jul 17, 2008 #3
    I think OP may be refering to accumulators that are used in homes in rural areas and in Boats/Yachts, that have their own pumps etc. Another name is pressure tanks and they prevent the pump from cycling on and off, all the time and also for prevention of water hammer.

As for sizing it would be best to talk to a plumber or plumbing store because there could be codes in your area. Here is a sample:
  5. Jul 17, 2008 #4
    It's simply a storage tank with an electric element (or other source of heat) in it that keeps tap water at a certain temperature. I use some equations show here...

...but although they consider time, they don't consider variation in usage. Supposedly there are ways to do this graphically, but I haven't found anything on it...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?