How to calculate the total energy in the point given.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
Mendokusan

Homework Statement


The question wants the total energy of point A.
Point A is 35 m above the ground and the mass of the objecy is 150 kg. The velocity is 10m/s.
(And point B is 20 m above the ground and point c is 26.)

Homework Equations


Ek= 1/2*mv^(2)
Ep=mgh
Total= Ek+Ep
But for some reasons the answer is 8950 and I don't know why. I probably did something wrong because the number I got is much larger than this..if somebody knows why please tell me..;-; I didn't study science in high school so I am kind of new to these stuff.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I really don't know..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well before anybody replies,is it because of me using the wrong way to calculate..? Because I just simply wrote this:
35×150×9.8 + 1/2mv^(2) and then the answer was something else when I calculated it with my calculator.
But our teacher said that it is 8950...
 
lewando said:
Notice anything odd about that?
I don't think so I mean..I am sure that the answer of my equation won't be 8590 and it would be much more.
I tried calculating then individually and then add them up. But just the first equation already gives me a really large number.I assume that my equation can be wrong...
 
The difference between your result and the stated answer is exactly 50,000. Nothing wrong with your equation. Your math is correct.
 
lewando said:
The difference between your result and the stated answer is exactly 50,000. Nothing wrong with your equation. Your math is correct.
Oh yes, but still I can't understand the reason for him to put 8950 instead of 58950...
I think that I have probably missed a step then..?
 
Typographical errors are not uncommon. Unless there is something left out of the problem statement that could account for a loss of 50,000 J, I would say that the error was not intentional. Please bring this to your teacher's attention.
 
Mendokusan said:

Homework Statement


The question wants the total energy of point A.
Point A is 35 m above the ground and the mass of the objecy is 150 kg. The velocity is 10m/s.
(And point B is 20 m above the ground and point c is 26.)

Homework Equations


Ek= 1/2*mv^(2)
Ep=mgh
Total= Ek+Ep
But for some reasons the answer is 8950 and I don't know why. I probably did something wrong because the number I got is much larger than this..if somebody knows why please tell me..;-; I didn't study science in high school so I am kind of new to these stuff.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I really don't know..

What matters is what kind of energy has the object at each position and to be careful in being consistent with the units, when you substitute for the values. At point A, the object has potential + kinetic energy. Put the values all expressed in one system of units - (S.I) in this case and just do the math. That's all there is to it.
 
lewando said:
Typographical errors are not uncommon. Unless there is something left out of the problem statement that could account for a loss of 50,000 J, I would say that the error was not intentional. Please bring this to your teacher's attention.
Okay I will try to ask him..well if he is still willing to answer question's. Thank you. ^^

QuantumQuest said:
What matters is what kind of energy has the object at each position and to be careful in being consistent with the units, when you substitute for the values. At point A, the object has potential + kinetic energy. Put the values all expressed in one system of units - (S.I) in this case and just do the math. That's all there is to it.
The units are actually correct as well...and the picture is a picture of a roller coaster going 35 m up. So I think that it is the potential gravitational energy.