How to calculate the total energy in the point given.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total energy at point A, which is 35 m above the ground, for an object with a mass of 150 kg and a velocity of 10m/s. The relevant equations are Ek= 1/2*mv^(2) and Ep=mgh, with the total energy being the sum of kinetic and potential energy. The stated answer is 8950, but the person's own calculation resulted in a much larger number. After further discussion, it is determined that there may have been a typographical error or a missing step in the problem, and the person is advised to bring this to the teacher's attention for clarification.
Mendokusan

Homework Statement

The question wants the total energy of point A.
Point A is 35 m above the ground and the mass of the objecy is 150 kg. The velocity is 10m/s.
(And point B is 20 m above the ground and point c is 26.)

Homework Equations

Ek= 1/2*mv^(2)
Ep=mgh
Total= Ek+Ep
But for some reasons the answer is 8950 and I don't know why. I probably did something wrong because the number I got is much larger than this..if somebody knows why please tell me..;-; I didn't study science in high school so I am kind of new to these stuff.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know..

Physics news on Phys.org
Well before anybody replies,is it because of me using the wrong way to calculate..? Because I just simply wrote this:
35×150×9.8 + 1/2mv^(2) and then the answer was something else when I calculated it with my calculator.
But our teacher said that it is 8950...

What exactly did you get for a result?

lewando said:
What exactly did you get for a result?
My answer was 58950.

Notice anything odd about that?

lewando said:
Notice anything odd about that?
I don't think so I mean..I am sure that the answer of my equation won't be 8590 and it would be much more.
I tried calculating then individually and then add them up. But just the first equation already gives me a really large number.I assume that my equation can be wrong...

The difference between your result and the stated answer is exactly 50,000. Nothing wrong with your equation. Your math is correct.

lewando said:
The difference between your result and the stated answer is exactly 50,000. Nothing wrong with your equation. Your math is correct.
Oh yes, but still I can't understand the reason for him to put 8950 instead of 58950...
I think that I have probably missed a step then..?

Typographical errors are not uncommon. Unless there is something left out of the problem statement that could account for a loss of 50,000 J, I would say that the error was not intentional. Please bring this to your teacher's attention.

Mendokusan said:

Homework Statement

The question wants the total energy of point A.
Point A is 35 m above the ground and the mass of the objecy is 150 kg. The velocity is 10m/s.
(And point B is 20 m above the ground and point c is 26.)

Homework Equations

Ek= 1/2*mv^(2)
Ep=mgh
Total= Ek+Ep
But for some reasons the answer is 8950 and I don't know why. I probably did something wrong because the number I got is much larger than this..if somebody knows why please tell me..;-; I didn't study science in high school so I am kind of new to these stuff.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know..

What matters is what kind of energy has the object at each position and to be careful in being consistent with the units, when you substitute for the values. At point A, the object has potential + kinetic energy. Put the values all expressed in one system of units - (S.I) in this case and just do the math. That's all there is to it.

lewando said:
Typographical errors are not uncommon. Unless there is something left out of the problem statement that could account for a loss of 50,000 J, I would say that the error was not intentional. Please bring this to your teacher's attention.
Okay I will try to ask him..well if he is still willing to answer question's. Thank you. ^^

QuantumQuest said:
What matters is what kind of energy has the object at each position and to be careful in being consistent with the units, when you substitute for the values. At point A, the object has potential + kinetic energy. Put the values all expressed in one system of units - (S.I) in this case and just do the math. That's all there is to it.
The units are actually correct as well...and the picture is a picture of a roller coaster going 35 m up. So I think that it is the potential gravitational energy.

1. How do I calculate the total energy at a given point?

The total energy at a given point can be calculated by adding together the potential energy and kinetic energy at that point. This can be represented by the equation: Etotal = Epotential + Ekinetic. Potential energy is typically calculated using the object's mass, height, and the acceleration due to gravity, while kinetic energy is calculated using the object's mass and velocity.

2. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be thought of as stored energy, while kinetic energy is the energy of movement.

3. Can I calculate total energy at any point in time, or only at a specific moment?

Total energy can be calculated at any point in time, as long as you have the necessary information about the object's potential and kinetic energy at that point. However, the values may change over time as the object's position and motion change.

4. How does temperature affect the total energy at a given point?

Temperature does not directly affect the total energy at a given point, as temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of a substance. However, changes in temperature can impact an object's potential or kinetic energy, which would in turn affect the total energy at that point.

5. Is it possible to have a negative total energy at a point?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative total energy at a point. This can occur if the potential energy at that point is greater than the kinetic energy, resulting in a negative value for the total energy. However, it is important to note that total energy is a relative quantity and negative values may not necessarily indicate a problem or error in calculations.