How to change equation references from (1) to (eqn. 1) in LaTeX

  • Topic: LaTeX 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Apteronotus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Latex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
Apteronotus
Messages
201
Reaction score
0
Hi, when I want to reference an equation in my latex file I use "eqref{}" with produces "(1)".
I would like to change this so that it appears as "(eqn. 1)"

Is there any way to get the desired affect?

Thanks in advance,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The only way i know how to do that is to go back to using the /ref keyword and put parens around it, yourself. For example, instead of \eqref{abc}, use (eqn. \ref{abc}).
 
Alternatively, you can use macros. Add something like

Code:
\newcommand\eqnrf[1]{(eqn.~\ref{#1})}

into your preamble. Then,

Code:
\eqnrf{abc}

will produce something like (eqn. 1)

(Of course, it's a little sloppy to do things like that, since the equation is called (1): you should say something like "eqn. (1)")