How to choose four year college?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's search for a school to transfer to, with a preference for a smaller class size like the community college they currently attend. The other person suggests considering a public or private school, with the latter having a potentially better student-to-instructor ratio for those who may need additional help. However, the speaker clarifies that this does not mean students at prestigious private schools are slower and need more attention.
kuahji
Ok so I'm currently attending a community college, & am working on an associates in mathematics. But its time I need to start looking into a school to transfer too, & I'd like to major in physics. But which is better, a public school or a smaller private, not well known school? Personally I'd prefer a school with smaller classes, which is something I really like about the community college & classes. The courses I take there are rarely never more than ten students left by the end of the semester. So any advice on choosing a college? Any college I choose I'd have to get loans for, as I have absolutely no money.

Physics news on Phys.org
I went to UCLA (double math/physics) after transfer from Santa Monica CC, and it has done well for me. A lot will depend on whether you can relocate or not, and even then whether you have the ability to work on your own and understand the material decently without additional instructor help. If you can, a public school should suffice, but if you think you'd need a great deal of outside help, a private school, with smaller student to instructor ratio, might be better.

Hum

daveb said:
I went to UCLA (double math/physics) after transfer from Santa Monica CC, and it has done well for me. A lot will depend on whether you can relocate or not, and even then whether you have the ability to work on your own and understand the material decently without additional instructor help. If you can, a public school should suffice, but if you think you'd need a great deal of outside help, a private school, with smaller student to instructor ratio, might be better.

So people who go to private schools such as Duke or Harvard need more attention and smaller classes because they are slower than regular kids, right.? LOL

Please do not put words in my mouth. I never said that if you go to Duke, et al, that you need extra help. I said that if you need extra help, you may want to go to a school with smaller class sizes (which as I understand it are most private schools).

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a four year college?

The factors to consider when choosing a four year college include the location, size, academic programs and majors offered, cost and financial aid options, campus culture and diversity, extracurricular activities and opportunities for internships or research, and the overall reputation and ranking of the college.

2. How do I know which college is the right fit for me?

It is important to visit the college campus, attend information sessions and speak with current students and faculty to get a sense of the campus culture and community. You should also consider your academic goals and interests, as well as the resources and support available at each college.

3. Should I only consider colleges with a high ranking or reputation?

A high ranking or reputation does not guarantee that a college is the best fit for you. It is important to consider other factors, such as the academic programs and resources available, and the overall fit with your goals and interests.

4. What if I am not sure about my major or career path?

Many students enter college with an undecided major or uncertain career path. It is important to choose a college that offers a variety of academic programs and resources to help you explore your interests and discover your passions.

5. Is it better to attend a four year college or start at a community college?

The decision between attending a four year college or starting at a community college depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Community colleges can offer a more affordable option and provide opportunities to transfer to a four year college. However, four year colleges may offer more resources and opportunities for internships and research. It is important to research and weigh your options carefully.