How to clean polymaliec acid deposits off the inside of a barrel

In summary, Poly maleic acid is a water soluble carboxylic acid which may be used for food processing.
LT72884
Found a blue water barrel at a thrift store. It is empty, no order but it held belcline 200 aka polymaliec acid. The barrell will be used to hold food scraps, dirt to make compost. How do i clean the barrel? Water? Or should i try and find another barrel
Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
According to the datasheet it is FDA approved for some food processing purposes so it should be safe to use the cleaned barrel for compost. The product is sold as a 50% by weight aqueous solution so water will dissolve any remaining residues. If anything in the container is not water soluable then it is probably some other material.

If there is a bulk amount of the material remaining it might be best to contact local waste disposal authorities .

BoB

Likes berkeman and LT72884
rbelli1 said:
According to the datasheet it is FDA approved for some food processing purposes so it should be safe to use the cleaned barrel for compost. The product is sold as a 50% by weight aqueous solution so water will dissolve any remaining residues. If anything in the container is not water soluable then it is probably some other material.

If there is a bulk amount of the material remaining it might be best to contact local waste disposal authorities .

BoB
Thanks a ton! I saw the dilution ratio in one of the pdfs i read but then another said something different so i figured i would ask more experienced people

I'm going to take my time to answer you. I'm going to ask some friend here in Spain, chemist him.

Hello, I've sent an e-mail to CymitQuimica SL, here in Spain. They ask me if I am a company or lab.

They are going to tell you to throw it out. Poly maleic acid has many many carboxylic acid groups. Deprotonate them and its probably soluble in water. Check that with the manufacturer. Detergent, high pH (~8-9) and heat should clean it out fine. Hot sodium bicarbonate, a squirt of dishwashing detergent and a brush. Wear PP gear like goggles and heavy rubber gloves.

1. How do I know if my barrel has polymaliec acid deposits?

Polymaliec acid deposits are typically white or off-white in color and have a powdery or flaky texture. They may also have a slightly sour or acidic smell. If you notice these characteristics on the inside of your barrel, it is likely that you have polymaliec acid deposits.

2. What causes polymaliec acid deposits in barrels?

Polymaliec acid deposits are caused by the breakdown of malic acid, which is naturally present in wine. This breakdown can occur when the wine is exposed to oxygen or when the temperature of the wine fluctuates. The resulting polymaliec acid can then bind to the inside of the barrel, forming deposits over time.

3. Can I prevent polymaliec acid deposits from forming in my barrel?

While it is difficult to completely prevent polymaliec acid deposits from forming, there are some steps you can take to minimize their occurrence. These include properly sealing and storing your barrel, maintaining a consistent temperature, and limiting the amount of oxygen exposure during the aging process.

4. How do I clean polymaliec acid deposits off the inside of my barrel?

The most effective way to clean polymaliec acid deposits off the inside of a barrel is to use a mixture of hot water and citric acid. This solution should be poured into the barrel and allowed to sit for several hours before being drained and rinsed with hot water. For more stubborn deposits, a specialized barrel cleaning solution may be necessary.

5. Is it safe to use a barrel with polymaliec acid deposits?

In most cases, polymaliec acid deposits do not pose a health risk and are safe to use in the aging process. However, if the deposits are excessive or have a strong odor, it may be best to clean the barrel before using it again. Additionally, if the deposits are affecting the flavor of the wine, it is recommended to clean the barrel to ensure the quality of the wine is not compromised.