Non-Flammable carbon deposit cleaner

• Thread starter Nicole4Jesus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carbon
In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking a non-flammable solution to clean carbon deposits on a propane fueled water heater pilot light. They have found some helpful information on dissolving carbon deposits on spark plugs, but are still looking for a completely non-flammable option. One suggestion is to try a sodium hydroxide solution, but there is also a discussion about whether a non-flammable solution is necessary and the importance of removing all cleaning products from the firebox after cleaning.
Nicole4Jesus
How did you find PF?: I found Physics Forum in a Google search in hopes to find a non flammable solution to dissolve carbon deposits on a propane fueled water heater pilot light. I found a forum post about dissolving carbon deposits on spark plugs. Which I did find helpful somewhat but the findings didn't support a "Non-Flammable" cleaning solution.

I am in search of a non-flammable carbon cleaner to remove deposits on a propane fueled RV water heater. I found another post in this forum that had findings on the process of dissolving carbon deposits off of different types of spark plugs. Those findings were promising, yet lacking a totally non-flammable option.

I look forward to everyone's replies. I'm eager to learn and glean from viable solutions and the process of elimination.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Try sodium hydroxide solution. It will loosen dirt but you have to remove it with a brush.

Likes Nicole4Jesus
tech99 said:
Try sodium hydroxide solution. It will loosen dirt but you have to remove it with a brush.
Thank you. I will give this a try.

Why does it need to be non-flammable?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Why does it need to be non-flammable?

BoB
I was asked to find a non flammable solution so it wouldn't ignite after cleaning.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

After cleaning it is a good idea to remove all cleaning products from the firebox. I'm not saying that a flammable cleaning agent is the way to go but you should not rule them out simply becaue so of the flammability. Use the best solution available.

BoB

1. What is a non-flammable carbon deposit cleaner?

A non-flammable carbon deposit cleaner is a chemical solution designed to remove carbon buildup from surfaces without the risk of catching fire or causing explosions. It is commonly used in automotive and industrial applications.

2. How does a non-flammable carbon deposit cleaner work?

Non-flammable carbon deposit cleaners typically contain solvents that dissolve and loosen the carbon deposits from surfaces. They may also contain detergents and surfactants that help to emulsify and remove the loosened carbon particles.

3. Is a non-flammable carbon deposit cleaner safe to use?

Yes, non-flammable carbon deposit cleaners are generally safe to use as long as they are used according to the manufacturer's instructions. However, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling these chemicals.

4. Can a non-flammable carbon deposit cleaner be used on all surfaces?

No, it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions before using a non-flammable carbon deposit cleaner on a particular surface. Some cleaners may be too harsh for certain materials and can cause damage.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when using a non-flammable carbon deposit cleaner?

Yes, it is important to use non-flammable carbon deposit cleaners in a well-ventilated area and to avoid inhaling the fumes. It is also important to avoid contact with skin and eyes, and to keep the cleaner away from sources of heat or flames.