How to combine percentages (Solely Simple Math Problem)

• Thread starter Fisher92
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a COMMS assignment that involves calculating the percentage of power spilled into guard bands for two frequency components. The problem is that when the percentages for each channel are calculated separately and then summed, the result is higher than when everything is summed together. The question is which method is correct for determining the percentage of spilled power. One person uses the example of losing all their money versus keeping their money, while the other person uses a different calculation method. Ultimately, they both come to the conclusion that the second method is more accurate in determining the percentage of spilled power.
Fisher92

Homework Statement

The problem was actually for a COMMS assignment that I have finished with the exception of the very last easiest part.

They wanted percentage of power spilled into gaurd bands - have calculated all the powers now need the percentage...

I have two frequency components modulating the carrier and I have calculated power components. I end up with the following:

f(Hz), P(W) - Channel 1
5, 1

f(Hz), P(W) - Channel 2
5, 1

Anything above 20kHz is spilled power and I want to know the percentage of spilled power (no that's no my actual results)

The problem is that if I work out the percentages for channel 1 and 2 separately (& then sum) I end up with a higher percentage than if I just summed everything... What is the correct way to do this.

******Example may be easier to follow then my explanation*****

Channel 1:
Total power = 1+5+2+3+4W=15W
Spilled Power (>20kHz)= 4W
Percentage = 4/15*100=26.67%

Channel 2:
Total power = 1+5+2+3+4W=15W
Spilled Power (>20kHz)= 3+4=7W
Percentage = 4/15*100=46.667%

CH1 + ch2 = 46.667+26.67=72% SPILLED

Combined
Total Power = 1+5+2+3+4+1+5+2+3+4=30W
Spilled Power (>20kHz)= 4+3+4=11W
Percentage = 11/30*100=37% SPILLED

Why is there a discrepancy? I get mathematically why this is giving me two different results but which 1 would be the power spilled?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say you have 10 bucks and you lose all of it. Your loss is 100%.

I also have 10 bucks but I am lucky and I keep my stash. My loss is 0%.

Using your method #1, our total loss is 100% + 0% = 100%. Does this seem correct to you? (Note also that if my loss were anything > 0%, our total loss would be > 100%)

Using your method #2, our total loss is (10 + 0)/(10 + 10) = 50%. Does this seem correct to you?

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I came to the same conclusion.

1. How do you add two percentages?

To add two percentages, you convert them into decimals by dividing each percentage by 100. Then, simply add the decimals together and convert the final answer back into a percentage by multiplying by 100.

2. How do you find the percentage of a number?

To find the percentage of a number, you multiply the number by the percentage divided by 100. For example, if you want to find 25% of 200, you would multiply 200 by 25/100, which equals 50. Therefore, 25% of 200 is 50.

3. Can you combine percentages without converting to decimals?

Yes, you can combine percentages without converting to decimals by using the formula (a + b + ab)/100, where a and b are the two percentages you want to combine. This formula works for adding two percentages, but for more than two percentages, it can get more complicated.

4. Is there a difference between combining percentages and finding the percentage of a number?

Yes, there is a difference. Combining percentages means adding them together to get a new percentage, while finding the percentage of a number means calculating what percentage of the number a certain value is. For example, combining 20% and 30% would give you 50%, while finding 20% of 100 would give you 20.

5. How do you combine percentages with fractions?

To combine percentages with fractions, you first convert the percentages into fractions by dividing them by 100. Then, you can add the fractions together and simplify if needed. Finally, you can convert the final fraction back into a percentage by multiplying by 100.