Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to convert Euler Equations to Lagrangian Form?

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    I am not entirely sure how to convert the conservation of mass and momentum equations into the Lagrangian form using the mass coordinate h. The one dimensional Euler equations given by,
    [tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + u\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x} + \rho\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + u\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial p}{\partial x} = 0 [/tex]
    need to be converted to,
    [tex] \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} - \frac{\partial u}{\partial h} = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial p}{\partial h} = 0 [/tex]
    where the Lagrangian mass coordinate has the relation,
    [tex] \frac{\partial h}{\partial x} = \rho [/tex]
    and
    [tex] v = \frac{1}{\rho} [/tex]
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2015 #2
    So I played around with the equations and with the aid of my fluid mechanics book I figured it out. One must realize that the Lagrangian time derivative is related to the Eulerian time derivative by,
    [tex] \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_L = \left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_E + \vec{V} \cdot \left(\nabla f\right) [/tex] where f is a flow property like density, pressure, velocity, etc.
    Therefore, in one dimension the Euler equations immediately reduce to the Lagrangian equivalent of,
    [tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{v} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = 0 \\
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + v \frac{\partial p}{\partial x} = 0 [/tex] Now realizing that,
    [tex] \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = -\frac{1}{v^2} \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} [/tex] and from the partial derivative chain rule,
    [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial h}{\partial x} \frac{\partial u}{\partial h} = \frac{1}{v} \frac{\partial u}{\partial h} \\
    \frac{\partial p}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial h}{\partial x} \frac{\partial p}{\partial h} = \frac{1}{v} \frac{\partial u}{\partial h}[/tex] Substituting into the the Lagrangian form yields,
    [tex] -\frac{1}{v^2} \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{v^2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial h} = 0 \\
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + v \frac{1}{v} \frac{\partial p}{\partial h} = 0 [/tex] or equivalently,
    [tex] \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} - \frac{\partial u}{\partial h} = 0 \\
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial p}{\partial h} = 0 [/tex] where h is the mass coordinate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook