Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How to create an elementary particle?

1. Apr 10, 2016 #1
    Well I know the annihilation of quarks and anti-quarks, but is it possible to create these two quarks in reverse? Like when you shove electromagnetic radiation into a compact form you get quarks and anti-quarks in return? Sure most of them are created after the Big Bang, but it is possible for them to run out if we are only in concern of the annihilation of particles? Sure it is not an easy task, create quarks to get neutrons and protons to get an element, but it is something that eventually needs to be done. If someone has any news about this let me know, I searched the web and cannot seem to find anything. I feel like this is needed to complete the renewable cycle

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Sure. If you crash two or more particles together hard enough you're bound to get loads of fundamental particles pop out. This happens all the time at various particle colliders around the world.

Probably not. It's MUCH easier to create new elements out of fusion or fission (especially fusion thanks to the overwhelming abundance of hydrogen in the universe) than it is to create them "from scratch" by trying to create protons and neutrons and then trying to put those together.

4. Apr 10, 2016 #3
    Well, but we'll have to mine hydrogen from other planets?

5. Apr 10, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yep. But that's probably a pretty simple affair. Just hang some really long hoses down into a gas giant or something. :wink:

6. Apr 10, 2016 #5
    Right, I was thinking what would happen if someone ever creates a portal at the bottom of our ocean lol. I'll leave it at this :P

7. Apr 10, 2016 #6
    ?????????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted