How to deal with learning plateau in CS?

• Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a learning plateau and ways to overcome it. This includes following a good course, reading aloud, and practicing deliberately. Another suggestion is to write code and use search methods to find solutions, using optimization techniques to speed up the process. Specifically, the conversation provides an example of solving an arithmetic equation with letters representing digits and suggests using FOR loops to search for possible combinations while considering constraints.
shivajikobardan
Summary:: learning plateau

I have reached a place where I can no more learn new concepts. I feel totally stuck.How do I deal with learning plateau? How do I overcome this plateau. Few things that come in my mind-:

1) Follow a good course from a good teacher.

2) Read it aloud.

3) Practice the same thing multiple things to get insights. deliberate practice

What else can I do to overcome this learning plateau? These are the types of questions I need to deal with and where I am facing this learning plateau..

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you write some code.

Likes CalcNerd, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Many ML problems rely on on search methods to find an answer. Look at the questions, think of how you would solve it on paper and then try to implement an algorithm to solve.

As an example, problem 2 asks you to find a solution to a arithmetic equation where letters represent digits. The first thing to note is that LOG letters/digits are found on both sides and so are the constraints you need to keep in mind. The second fact is that L, O, and G and the other letters represent different digits.

From there you can construct, FOR loops for L, O, and G to search for possible digit combinations while varying the I, C, P, and R choices.

2*(10000*L + 1000*O + 100*G + 10*I + C) = 100000*P + 10000*R + 1000*O + 100*L + 10*O + G

This is only a first attack then you might notice some optimizations you can apply to speed up the search like maybe P and L can't be zero. Not during the nested FOR loops would L equal O or G so when that happens you can skip that iteration.

Likes shivajikobardan

1. What is a learning plateau in computer science?

A learning plateau in computer science refers to a period of time where an individual's progress in learning a particular concept or skill levels off, despite continued effort and practice. It is a common occurrence in the learning process and can be frustrating for individuals who are trying to improve their skills.

2. What causes a learning plateau in computer science?

There are several factors that can contribute to a learning plateau in computer science. These include lack of motivation, insufficient practice, and lack of understanding of foundational concepts. Additionally, if an individual is not challenging themselves with new and more difficult material, they may reach a plateau in their learning.

3. How can I overcome a learning plateau in computer science?

To overcome a learning plateau in computer science, it is important to identify the root cause of the plateau. This could involve seeking help from a mentor or teacher, practicing more consistently, or reviewing foundational concepts. It may also be helpful to set specific goals and challenges for yourself to push past the plateau.

4. Is it normal to experience a learning plateau in computer science?

Yes, it is completely normal to experience a learning plateau in computer science. Learning is not always a linear process and it is common for individuals to reach a point where their progress levels off. It is important to not get discouraged and to continue pushing yourself to improve.

5. How long does a learning plateau typically last in computer science?

The duration of a learning plateau in computer science can vary greatly depending on the individual and the specific skill or concept they are trying to learn. Some individuals may experience a plateau for a few days, while others may experience it for weeks or even months. The key is to stay persistent and continue working towards improvement.