How to deal with pesky street recruiters

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
Bacle2
Science Advisor
If you don't mind being a bit cruel, you can tell them any of my jokes ; see the "Random Thoughts" section. That's how I get people I know to leave me alone:I tell them I have a joke, then I start hearing things like " Oh, I'm running late", or " I think I left the stove on", etc. And I start getting the same response from people I don't know when I start telling them.

HayleySarg
Gold Member
Oh yes, talking the sales person into a corner is the best thing ever. I get a perverse pleasure out of making them uncomfortable. Door to door sale's people are even better.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
There're trying to recruit people for membership of "good causes", such as the cancer foundation, green peace, etc. They have a city licence to stand on certain locations. I already have multiple memberships that I consider enough.
I don't know about the laws where you live, but if they are doing what you described, then you have a legitimate complain that they are harassing you. If they have some identifying signs, such as the organization and the name of the person, then I would suggest contacting whatever agency that granted their license and lodge your complaint.

My tactic has always been that I show them ZERO interest. I will either just say no and continue my walk at the same speed, or I just shake my head. And this also works for pan-handlers. Most of them don't want to waste time on someone they know they won't get anywhere. But if you show even the slightest interest, or give them the impression that you might even talk to them, even to tell them no, then you give them ample excuse to want to try and get you.

Under no circumstances should you stop, even to tell them no. If they follow you while you are walking away, then this is clear harassment, and at least here in many US states and cities, this act is in violation of their permit to solicit on city streets.

Zz.

turbo
Gold Member
Our current House representative came door-knocking and I hollered at her to just go away. She kept peering in my windows and shook her head "No". What a *****. She lost a vote then.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If they follow you while you are walking away, then this is clear harassment, and at least here in many US states and cities, this act is in violation of their permit to solicit on city streets.
Interesting remark, indeed now I see an old article from 2008 that states that it's prohibited to stand in front of the entrance to a store or walk along with passersby. I've just sent an e-mail to the advertisement code foundation, to see what the current restrictions are.

I used to stay polite to these kids. Until one day i was walking down the street and one of them asked me if i care about poor children, i said no and kept walking, and the girl said "thats stupid". She surprised me so i didnt stop and complain. Now i no longer feel an obligation to stay polite them anymore.

Here are some of the things i do:

1. I say "im a bad person". This is what i do most often.
2. I ask a counterquestion, anything i want to know at that moment (where is the nearest ATM?)
3. If im bored and dont have anything better to do, i will (if it is a girl) have a discussion about the state of the world, that the real problem is overpopulation and that she is naive and should donate her own salary. If it is a guy and i dont like him i explain that im going home to have sex. Does he think im going to waste my time with him?

reenmachine
Gold Member
Frankly I think they see in my face that it's a waste of time.If they continue I just tell them to **** off.I know they're just doing their job but if you don't send a strong negative signal right away the conversation will never end with these guys.

For starters, I just keep walking and don't break my pace for them.

If I have to give a response, it's often "Not Interested." And if they follow up with "but you don't even know..." then I respond with "Don't care." I don't even use complete sentences, just the bare minimum of words to let them know they are wasting my time.

If I feel like being nicer, I've found "not today" to be a pretty effective response. It seems to imbue them with false hope that I might be more responsive tomorrow. That's total crap of course, but it's almost as if humans have a natural or programmed response of patience when getting a "not right now" type of statement, and it lets them avoid having to feel like they've just been rejected and they need to try to fix the situation. Don't use this one on people who come to your door though, because they might be back tomorrow!

Funny story, I've noticed lately there's a bunch of solicitors outside the supermarkets near my house, and just yesterday when I went the supermarket had put up a big sign saying "These solicitors are here without our permission. We've asked them to leave. We recommend that you don't encourage their presence by contributing to their causes." They're still there, but they've been a lot less aggressive lately.

Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I ignore anyone who approaches me on the street. I will literally pretend I can't hear or see them. If it's obvious I did hear or see them, I will shake my head "no" and continue walking.

This is impolite, surely. But it was impolite of them to interrupt my business to scam me out of money.

ZombieFeynman
Gold Member
Bark and growl like a mad dog at them.

If this doesn't work make inane clucking noises and yell incoherently.

70% of the time it works every time.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Another strategy: being too busy to go shopping :grumpy: Since starting this thread, a month ago, I haven't had time to visit my bakery..

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm feeling your pain Monique. I just had to explain that I wasn't interested for the second day in a row to the same door to door salesman. He was trying to engage me in a conversation about my alarm system. I wasn't nearly as polite today. I explained that I don't do business with unknown people who call or knock on my door and I certainly don't discuss my home security with them. He was still talking as I closed the door in his face. :grumpy:

Be a total jerk. It works for me down here in Raleigh with all the pan handlers. When they come up to me I just say austerely "Im not giving you any money" before they speak and then walk away.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I normally just keep walking past and say something like "sorry, no today" or "I'm in a rush". If you spot them far enough in the distance you can also just pull out your phone and fake a conversation.

chiro
Science Advisor
Ask them to answer the following question:

"If you were on your way to something important like getting food, picking up your kids, going to work, sorting out your car getting fixed, paying your insurance, or making sure those bills are paid and someone walked up to you demanding that you should drop everything just to satisfy someones idea or righteousness, how would you react?"

You could also tell them that when people want something or want to do something, they can usually figure it out themselves rather than needing a constant tour guide to do it for them.

Lisa!
Gold Member
Ask them to lend you some money!:uhh:

Have some fun with it. You could curse them out, yell at them, or just completely ignore them. Ignoring them is the most fun, especially if they get all worked up and get angry at you for ignoring them.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
This reminds me a bit of running into a Hare Krishna follower at the fair this year. Totally caught me off guard. I was surrounded by 15,000 hippies, who for 22 years had never bothered me for anything, and then, BAM! This person had the answer to everything, for a price....... I ran away.

But I do have two complimentary books that I can send anyone, for free, not including shipping and handling....... :rolleyes:

This reminds me a bit of running into a Hare Krishna follower at the fair this year. Totally caught me off guard. I was surrounded by 15,000 hippies, who for 22 years had never bothered me for anything, and then, BAM! This person had the answer to everything, for a price....... I ran away.

But I do have two complimentary books that I can send anyone, for free, not including shipping and handling....... :rolleyes:
Where did you say that fair was?:devil: I used to pay those guys to quit beating the blasted drum.

Not that there is anything wrong about playing a drum.

http://krishnastore.com/mridanga-drum-tilak-h-krishna-1464.html

Last edited:
jhae2.718
Gold Member
I usually wear a pair of headphones when I walk (either with music or just disconnected) which allows me to pretend I can't hear them.

If I am at home I just am very quiet and pretend I am not home until they go away.

I am not a people person.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member

This reminded me of one time when I was stuck in an airport overnight waiting for a flight. I had finally figured out how to fall asleep across three very uncomfortable chairs with unmovable arms when some religious nut job decided that I needed to be woken up and told how I could be saved. I am not too polite when I don't get my sleep and I was very tired at that point. I told him that if he came near me again, I would kill him. I guess that I got the message across because he didn't come back. :devil:

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Be a total jerk. It works for me down here in Raleigh with all the pan handlers. When they come up to me I just say austerely "Im not giving you any money" before they speak and then walk away.
Pretty much. No reason to make up an elaborate evacuation strategy. Just tell them no and then ignore them and keep walking.

Ask them to lend you some money!:uhh:
:thumbs:

I'm usually polite and just say "no thanks", but sometimes I say "que?" or "je ne comprends pas". Next time I think I will try using sign language. This is "no" in sign language:

no-post.png

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I hang up after I hear the hiss of a teleprompter. On the street, I simply ignore them. Trust me, they will get the message. Problem solved.