1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to define measurement in quantum mechanics

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Define measurement in the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

In the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, measurement changes the state of a wavefunction, that is, it collapses the wavefunction into one its orthonormal basis vectors (eigenstates). We cannot assume that the system possesses properties if not measured...

I found the second sentence in a book of mine. Problem is I don't know what it means :-)

What do you think it means?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2
    I thought about it for a bit, read a bit on wikipedia and was going to summarize what I read, but i'll just give you the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement_in_quantum_mechanics

I just think about it in the practical sense. A measurement is something you do in a lab with rulers and stopwatches that gives you a real number. For example we can measure the position of a photon at a particular time in a double slit experiment by putting a photomultiplier next to each slit, and it will make a loud noise when a photon goes through one of the slits, so we know the photons position (within a particular uncertainty) at the time when the photomultiplier made the noise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook