How to Derive Potential Energy for SHM in Terms of Frequency?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Mattofix
Messages
137
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have been asked to show that a particle of mass m executing simple harmonic motion with frequency f, has a potential energy

V(x) = 2[tex]\pi^{2}[/tex]f[tex]^{2}[/tex]mx[tex]^{2}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I know that V(x) = 1/2m[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex]x[tex]^{2}[/tex] and that [tex]\omega[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex]f

but i can't find how to show this anywhere - not in the lecture notes, my books or the internet - I am finding this quantum mechanics course a massive step up from all the other areas of physics!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a problem that could be given to you in a classical mechanics course aswell.

What is the Spring-force (Hooks law), and how do you go from a (conservative)-Force to the potential?