How to Determine the Sign of the Doppler Shift?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nao113
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Doppler System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 1K views
nao113
Messages
68
Reaction score
13
Homework Statement
If the velocity of the target is positive, ∆𝑓 > 0.
If the velocity of the target is negative, ∆𝑓 < 0. How to identify the sign of ∆𝑓 in Doppler system?

Did I answer it correctly? thank you
Relevant Equations
I put that in the picture below
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 16.46.17.png

answer:
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 18.02.51.png
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what answer is wanted. As I read it, both the problem statement and your answer assert that the sign of the shift tells you whether the relative velocity is positive or negative. But the question is asking how you determine the sign of the shift, no?