1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Determine Whether a Beam Is Stable

1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi all,

I have a HW question which is about a simple beam the beam carries a uniform load across its whole length and has two concentrated loads. The beam looks something like this:

O____________I____________________I_________________X

Where: I = concentrated loads
    O = roller support
    X = hinge support

2. Relevant equations

I was taught that before I can start any calculations that I must check whether the beam is stable or not and whether the beam is statically determinate or not. The problem is I'm not sure how to determine this.

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that the hinge support is fixed and the only freedom it gives is rotation in the z-axis and the roller is also free to rotate in the z-axis but is also free to translate in the x-axis.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi all,

I have a HW question which is about a simple beam the beam carries a uniform load across its whole length and has two concentrated loads. The beam can be viewed in the attachment.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was told that before I could start any calculations that I need to check whether the beam is stable or not and whether the beam is statically determinate or not. How do I check these factors?

I understand that the hinge support is fixed and the only freedom it gives is rotation in the z-axis and the roller is also free to rotate in the z-axis but is also free to translate in the x-axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted