Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to do wick rotated surface int (srednicki ch75)

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I have the integral:

[tex] \int\,\frac{d^4 l}{(2\pi)^4)} \frac{\partial}{\partial l^{\beta}} f_{\alpha}(l)[/tex]

Now apparently this can be written (using a Wick rotation and converting to a surface integral) as:

[tex] i \lim_{l\to\infty}\int\,\frac{\mathrm{d}S_{\beta}}{(2\pi)^4}\,f_{\alpha}(l) [/tex] where [tex]\mathrm{d}S_{\beta}=l^2 l_{\beta} d\Omega[/tex] is a surface-area element and [tex]d\Omega[/tex] is the differential solid angle in 4d.

Can anyone see how exactly? (if context is needed this in (75.41) of Srednicki's QFT available free online)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2
    What I have already, well I understand the concept of a Wick rotation, but is this in the [itex] l^{0}[/itex] plane, such that we would write the Euclideanized variables as [itex] l^{0}=i \bar{l^{0}}[/itex], [itex]l^{j}=\bar{l}^{j}[/itex] and the Minkowski square [itex]-(q^{0})+(q^{1})^2+...[/itex] becomes the Euclidean +++.... square or something else?

Then exactly how are we converting this integral to a surface integral? and how do we still have [itex] f_{\alpha}(l) [/itex] etc, not say [itex] f_{\alpha}(i l) [/itex] or something like that. Finally where does this limit outside come from?

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3
    anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook