How to dope a semiconductor with an elemnt which sublimates?

In summary: Is there something else you're not telling me?You could try cycling the material. run the process with the dopant, then take the doped crystal and melt it and cycle it again. run it many times to increase the dopant conecntration slowly.This is essentially what I am trying to do. I am just not getting the desired result. I have already tried this.You could try cycling the material. run the process with the dopant, then take the doped crystal and melt it and cycle it again. run it many times to increase the dopant conecntration slowly.This is essentially what I am trying to do. I am just not getting the desired result. I have already
Prins
Hi there
Im working in a solid state lab
I have a semiconductor, let's say 'AB'
nowim trying to dope it with a new element 'C' to form 'AB(1-x)Cx'
im using bridgman technique for this purpose,,,that is heating all the ingredients together
now the problem is that the element C sublimates before A or B melt
So I am not getting the required yield
Any suggestions.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Prins said:
Hi there
Im working in a solid state lab
I have a semiconductor, let's say 'AB'
im using bridgman technique for this purpose,,,that is heating all the ingredients together
now the problem is that the element C sublimates before A or B melt
So I am not getting the required yield
Any suggestions.
thanks

Presumably you've checked the literature to see if anyone else has used this dopant and semiconductor, and if so, how they achieved it?

I'm pretty ignorant about doping semiconductors, and you've given us very little detail, but could you use a different technique, such as ion-implantation?

e.bar.goum said:
Presumably you've checked the literature to see if anyone else has used this dopant and semiconductor, and if so, how they achieved it?

I'm pretty ignorant about doping semiconductors, and you've given us very little detail, but could you use a different technique, such as ion-implantation?
Actually this is a matelial of sorts

Prins said:
Actually this is a matelial of sorts
Any we have the apparatus for this method only...so options are limited

Prins said:
let's say 'AB'
im using bridgman technique
now the problem is that the element C sublimates
Lets assume AB is GaAs. Is element C substituting only into the B sites? AB (1-x) Cx or both sites A(1-x/2)B (1-x/2) Cx?

If you can control the atmosphere around the AB so that even if C is a gas, AB is exposed to high concentration 100% C, does that help?

Hyo X said:
Lets assume AB is GaAs. Is element C substituting only into the B sites? AB (1-x) Cx or both sites A(1-x/2)B (1-x/2) Cx?

If you can control the atmosphere around the AB so that even if C is a gas, AB is exposed to high concentration 100% C, does that help?
First, C substitutes only B

Second, Well that is how I am trying to do it. Putting the things inside an evacuated tube and then heating. But as i said,, I am not getting the desired yield

Prins said:
But as i said,, I am not getting the desired yield
By yield you mean dopant concentration? How do you characterize dopant concentration?

You could try cycling the material. run the process with the dopant, then take the doped crystal and melt it and cycle it again. run it many times to increase the dopant conecntration slowly.

Likes Prins
well I am trying to get AB(.9)c(.1)

so after doing the math i should get 5% atomic percentage
but EDS of sample shows it to be only nearly 1%

You say you're doing this inside an evacuated tube, presumably evacuated to exclude air to prevent oxides and such from forming. If this is a sealed tube and not actively being pumped while you're trying to make your end product, when your component C sublimates you no longer have a vacuum, you have C in vapor state, what Hyo X called the atmosphere within the tube. Can you add an excess of your component C to raise the vapor pressure enough to push it back into solution in the melt? I'm assuming that you've already checked that C is indeed soluble in A+B throughout the temperature range you have to work in, that is, from melting point of A+B to solidification.

Likes Prins

1. How does doping affect the properties of a semiconductor?

Doping is the process of intentionally adding impurities to a semiconductor material. This changes the electrical and optical properties of the material, making it more conductive or increasing its ability to emit light.

2. What elements are commonly used for doping semiconductors?

The most commonly used elements for doping semiconductors are boron, phosphorus, arsenic, and antimony. These elements have different numbers of valence electrons, which can either create "holes" (positive charge carriers) or extra electrons (negative charge carriers) in the semiconductor material.

3. How does sublimation affect the doping process?

Sublimation is the process of a solid substance turning directly into a gas without going through a liquid phase. This can make doping more challenging as the doping agent, such as boron or phosphorus, needs to be in a gaseous state in order to diffuse into the semiconductor material.

4. What methods are used to dope a semiconductor with a sublimating element?

One common method is called chemical vapor deposition (CVD), where the semiconductor material is exposed to a gas containing the doping agent in a high-temperature environment. Another method is called molecular beam epitaxy (MBE), which uses a beam of atoms or molecules to precisely deposit the doping element onto the semiconductor material.

5. What are the potential applications of doping a semiconductor with a sublimating element?

Doping with sublimating elements can be used to create different types of semiconductors, such as p-type and n-type, which are essential for building electronic devices like transistors and diodes. This technology also enables the fabrication of advanced semiconductor devices with improved performance, such as high-speed transistors and high-efficiency solar cells.