How to draw all subgraphs of K_5

• Thread starter christodouloum
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about methodology for counting graphs explicitly, specifically in finding all trees of the complete graph K_5. The answer is determined to be 5^(5-2)=125 with four of the ten edges. The individual is trying to find a way to draw them by hand without missing any or having duplicates. They mention a simple method of searching for 25 graphs with distinct rotations, but have only found 14, 6, and 1, meaning they are missing four. The conversation also brings up the larger question of how to systematically enumerate combinatorial possibilities in graph theory and discusses the lack of a unified mathematical theory for it. Specialized algorithms for subgraph enumeration are mentioned, but the specific
christodouloum
Hi all. I have a simple question on methodology for counting graphs explicitely. I am trying to find all trees of the complete graph K_5. I know that the answer is 5^(5-2)=125 and that each should have only four of the ten edges. I am trying to understand how I would draw them down by hand explicitely. It turns out difficult to be sure that I have exactly all of them without replications etc.

My simple way at it was to search for 25 graphs that would not coincide when the vertices are "rotated" and try to find first the ones with up to two valent vertices, then up to 3-valent and then up to four-valent vertices (all of these times five). I found respectively 14,6 and 1 which means I am missing four. Does anyone know of a systematic way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post raises (in my mind) the general question of how to specifically enumerate combinatorial possibilities in graph theory. I searched the web, expecting to find that this would be a well developed mathematical/programming subject. I don't see any unified mathematical theory of it. The biologists and chemists are interested in algorithms that accomplish the task and if you search for "subgraph enumeration", you find specialized algorithms.

You particular problem would be interesting to discuss. Currently, I don't know the algorithm for it.

1. What is K5?

K5 is a complete graph with 5 vertices, meaning that every vertex is connected to every other vertex by an edge. It is commonly used in graph theory as a simple example of a complete graph.

2. How many subgraphs does K5 have?

K5 has 31 subgraphs, including the empty graph and the whole graph itself.

3. How do I draw all subgraphs of K5?

To draw all subgraphs of K5, start by drawing the empty graph, which has no vertices or edges. Then, add one vertex at a time, connecting each new vertex to all previous vertices to create all possible subgraphs. Repeat this process until you have drawn all 31 subgraphs.

4. How can I make sure I have drawn all subgraphs of K5?

To ensure that you have drawn all subgraphs of K5, you can use a graph theory software or online tool that can generate and display all subgraphs of a given graph. Alternatively, you can double-check your drawings by comparing them to a list of all 31 subgraphs.

5. Why is it important to be able to draw all subgraphs of K5?

Being able to draw all subgraphs of K5 is important in graph theory as it allows for a better understanding of the properties and structures of complete graphs. It also serves as a basis for studying more complex graphs and their subgraphs. In addition, being able to draw all subgraphs can be useful in applications such as network analysis and data visualization.