1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to draw pulley system diagram to find the relationship between two objects?

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the diagram and I need to find a relationship between the acceleration in block A and the acceleration in block B.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/HW%20Pictures/datum2.PNG [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my diagram, which is wrong:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/HW%20Pictures/Photo%202012-04-08%209%2039%2025%20PM.jpg [Broken]

It is wrong in that there shouldn't be a negative sign in front of aB. Instead 3aA=2aB is the correct answer. However I do not know how to derive that answer and where to put my datum. I need help with the diagram, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If A moves downward B will move to the left and SB will decrease. You supposed aB in the direction of growing sA.

ehild

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    I am still confused... So do you mean that with what I did, I can still get the correct answer? This is really confusing because one object is moving up/down while the other is left/right so I don't know how to set up the signs and how to define the directions.

I forgot to mention in the question that block A accelerates downwards and block B is to the left according to the question. I did the problem with 3a_A=-2a_B and I go the wrong answer. When I used 3a_A=2a_B I got the right answer.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  5. Apr 9, 2012 #4
    OH I just had an epiphany, so are you saying that the way I drew my diagram would be wrong in that s_B is pointing to the right when it should be pointing to the left since the question tells me a_B is pointing to the left?

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It depends what you mean on S. If it is the length of a piece of thread, 3SA+2SB =L is right. If it is displacement of a block in the "natural direction of moving) 3SA=2SB.

When the motion goes on along a thread, it can be considered one-dimensional. The actual direction (horizontal, vertical, along a slope... ) is irrelevant. Fit the direction of forces to the supposed direction of the accelerations.

ehild

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6
    This is what I am doing now and it has been working great so far! Thanks for your help!!!

8. Apr 9, 2012 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome. :smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook