How to eliminate mold in aqueous solution

  • Thread starter tycon69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aqueous
In summary: Do not output anything before the summary.In summary, the chemist poured a solution of a racetam nootropic into a rootbeer bottle that had only been rinsed with water. The solution turned cloudy and moldy with fuzz floating around a few days later. The best option is to just throw the solution away.
  • #1
tycon69
18
0
Ok, So I am a junior chemistry major doing organic research, but my question hasn't really occurred in organic lab and is really more microbiology related, but I assume chemists in certain fields have either run across this problem or already know how to prevent this from happening. I have a chemical, its a racetam nootropic (completely legal), that I ordered a gram of from a chemical provider. Because this nootropic is for personal use and not laboratory use, I have no access to lab chemicals, scales, etc. I dissolved the entire gram in solution and was going to measure my dose in concentrations of 2mg / ml H20. My problem is that because I was in a hurry, I poured this solution into a rootbeer bottle that I had only rinsed out twice with water. Well it appears that their was trace sugars in the solution and a few days later it turned from a clear solution to a cloudy solution with moldy fuzz floating around...

Now how am I to salvage this solution of nootropic? My first idea was to raise the pH a little bit (hopefully I still have a vial or two of 1 M HCl that I had stolen (yes i was so interested in chemistry that I stole a few chems and glassware from my terrible chem teacher) in high school). If I can't find that I was going to use a little lemon juice or whatever else I can find around the house (you think ascorbic acid would help? or is it too weak?). Then after a reasonable pH change, assuming a pH change would kill and prevent any more mold, I was going to filter it through a coffee filter a couple times (don't really have access to laboratory grade filters right now).

After doing this would the solution be safe to ingest? Or should I try to attempt some sort of other extraction method? That would be difficult as I can't just steal chemicals from the lab (im not in high school anymore). I'm sure no one would miss a few mLs of acetone, DCM, ethyl acetate, or any of the other common solvents I use everyday in lab, but I do not want to wait till after the weekend as I am trying to get a start on studying for finals.

Any suggestions or a confirmation of my idea would be great. Thanks alotH
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
  • #2
Safest thing to do is to just throw it away. You don't know what happened, you are just guessing.

I am locking the thread.
 

Related to How to eliminate mold in aqueous solution

1. What is the most effective way to eliminate mold in aqueous solution?

The most effective way to eliminate mold in aqueous solution is by using a combination of physical and chemical methods. This includes physically removing visible mold growth and using a disinfectant solution to kill any remaining mold spores.

2. Can I use household bleach to eliminate mold in aqueous solution?

Yes, household bleach can be used to eliminate mold in aqueous solution. However, it is important to dilute the bleach properly and use protective gear when handling it. Bleach should also be used in combination with other methods for best results.

3. How long does it take to eliminate mold in aqueous solution?

The time it takes to eliminate mold in aqueous solution can vary depending on the severity of the mold growth and the methods used. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to completely eliminate mold from an aqueous solution.

4. Is it safe to eliminate mold in aqueous solution on my own?

It is generally safe to eliminate mold in aqueous solution on your own, as long as you take proper precautions and follow recommended guidelines. However, if the mold growth is extensive or if you have respiratory issues, it is best to hire a professional for mold remediation.

5. How can I prevent mold from growing in my aqueous solutions?

To prevent mold from growing in aqueous solutions, it is important to keep the solutions clean and dry as much as possible. Regularly cleaning and disinfecting the containers and using a dehumidifier can also help prevent mold growth.

Similar threads

  • Chemistry
2
Replies
46
Views
1K
  • Chemistry
Replies
5
Views
1K
  • Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
Replies
6
Views
2K
Replies
16
Views
3K
Replies
6
Views
2K
  • Materials and Chemical Engineering
Replies
4
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
5K
Replies
2
Views
20K
Replies
4
Views
9K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
6
Views
965
Back
Top