How to Evaluate Power Ratio in Higher Order Hermite-Gaussian Beams?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
semc
Messages
364
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Evaluate the ratio of the power contained within a circle of radius W(z) in the transverse plane to the total power in the Hermite-Gaussian beams of order (1,0)


Homework Equations


P=[itex]\int[/itex]IdA


The Attempt at a Solution


I have determined the ratio for the Gaussian beam but the higher order modes have a extra 'x' or 'y' in the integral but I am integrating w.r.t r (r2=x2+y2). So how can I evaluate the integral?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you integrate in Decartes coordinates x and y? Because, if I understood correctly, then the integral is can be represented as
[itex]\int^{W(z)}_{0} x*e^{-x^2}dx \int^{\sqrt{W(z)^2-x^2}}_{0}y*e^{-y^2}dy[/itex]
this is only a quarter of the full energy of course.
 
Last edited:
I don't understand what is Decartes coordinates but I managed to solve it. Its simply x=rcos[itex]\vartheta[/itex]. Have no idea why I didn't think of that when I posted this. Thanks