• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

How to explain collision theory?

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date

chwala

Gold Member
What activities can one use in explaining collision theory to secondary level students?

Last edited by a moderator:

Borek

Mentor
Have you tried to search in the Journal of Chemical Education?

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
What activities can one use in explaining collision theory to secondary level students?
This is rather vague actually.

What kind of "collision theory" are we talking about here? Are you just doing 1D collisions, or are you already introducing 2D collisions to students at that level? Are you including conservation of momentum and conservation (or non-conservation) of KE already at that level?

Without you explaining the boundary of knowledge that you wish to confine to with these students, it is rather difficult to suggest such "activities" to explain "collision theory", since we don't know what form of collision theory that you are trying to illustrate.

Zz.

Borek

Mentor
What kind of "collision theory" are we talking about here?
In general you are right that the question sounds quite general, but in the context of chemistry there is no much ambiguity that it is about kinetics of the chemical reactions.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Do we know that this is about chemistry?

Borek

Mentor
I was sure it is in the chemistry section, my bad. I don't remember ever being alerted about posts in the Educators forum, not sure what have happened.

DrClaude

Mentor
I was sure it is in the chemistry section, my bad. I don't remember ever being alerted about posts in the Educators forum, not sure what have happened.
It was originally posted in another forum. Some information got lost during the move.

chwala

Gold Member
it is chemistry at igcse level for year 11's...