Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to express a function as a function of another function?

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I would like to know how I could approach the following problem. I am given two functions [itex]y=f(x)[/itex] and [itex]z=g(x)[/itex], and I would like to express the first function as a function of the second one: that is, [tex]y = h(z)[/tex], where h is not necessarily a linear function of z.

One explicit example could be: [tex]y=\frac{x}{a}[/tex] [tex]z=\frac{x}{a+b}[/tex]

where the goal is to find a function h such that [tex]y=h(z)[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello mnb96! :smile:

invert g (if you can) …

x = g-1(z)

f(x) = f(g-1(z)) :wink:

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    Ups...:)

You are right. When the inverse for g exists, it is pretty easy. Thanks.
    I was wondering if it is still possible to do something when an inverse does not exist, although this goes slightly beyond the original question.

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it'd have to be a pretty weird function not to have at least a local inverse :wink:

6. Feb 10, 2012 #5
    Indeed... but while they may have a inverse, it may be hard (or even impossible) to write down this inverse function... unless "cheating" is allowed, like using functions like Maple's RootOf( f(x) ) ...

7. Feb 11, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but we can still write it as g-1 :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook