1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to express a function as a function of another function?

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I would like to know how I could approach the following problem. I am given two functions [itex]y=f(x)[/itex] and [itex]z=g(x)[/itex], and I would like to express the first function as a function of the second one: that is, [tex]y = h(z)[/tex], where h is not necessarily a linear function of z.

One explicit example could be: [tex]y=\frac{x}{a}[/tex] [tex]z=\frac{x}{a+b}[/tex]

where the goal is to find a function h such that [tex]y=h(z)[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello mnb96! :smile:

invert g (if you can) …

x = g-1(z)

f(x) = f(g-1(z)) :wink:

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    Ups...:)

You are right. When the inverse for g exists, it is pretty easy. Thanks.
    I was wondering if it is still possible to do something when an inverse does not exist, although this goes slightly beyond the original question.

5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it'd have to be a pretty weird function not to have at least a local inverse :wink:

6. Feb 10, 2012 #5
    Indeed... but while they may have a inverse, it may be hard (or even impossible) to write down this inverse function... unless "cheating" is allowed, like using functions like Maple's RootOf( f(x) ) ...

7. Feb 11, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but we can still write it as g-1 :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook