How to find an unknown amount (titration)

• Thread starter hhs15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving diluting an unknown amount of NaH_2PO_4 in distilled water and then titrating it with NaOH. The goal is to determine the original amount of NaH_2PO_4 used. The first step is to determine the reaction equation and then use a general approach for calculations. The person is grateful for the explanation and finds the process easy.
hhs15

Homework Statement

I'm given an unknown amount (around 20mL) of NaH_2PO_4 and I dilute it in distilled water in a 250mL flask. Then I take 25mL of this solution and add 4 drops of thymolphthalein in another flask. Then I titrate it with 0.1M of NaOH until it becoms light blue. I used 22mL of NaOH.

I'm suppose to find out the amount of NaH_2PO_4 I was given.
I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh of course. I knew it was eazy.
Thank you!

1. What is titration?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the unknown concentration of a substance by reacting it with a known concentration of another substance.

2. How does titration work?

In titration, a solution of known concentration, called the titrant, is added to the solution of unknown concentration until the reaction between the two substances is complete. The volume of titrant used is then used to calculate the unknown concentration.

3. What equipment is needed for titration?

The equipment needed for titration includes a burette, a flask or beaker, a pipette, an indicator, and a stirrer. A burette is used to precisely measure the volume of the titrant added, while a pipette is used to measure the volume of the unknown solution. An indicator is a substance that changes color when the reaction is complete, indicating the endpoint of the titration.

4. How accurate is titration?

Titration is a highly accurate technique when performed correctly. It is important to use precise equipment and techniques to ensure accurate results. The accuracy of titration can also be affected by factors such as human error and the quality of the chemicals used.

5. What are the applications of titration?

Titration is commonly used in chemistry labs for quantitative analysis, such as determining the concentration of acids, bases, and salts. It is also used in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and water treatment, for quality control and testing purposes.