How to find f(30) and f(-14) from a periodic graph

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Sonny18n
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
image.jpg
1. Homework Statement

A graph of y=f(x) is shown. Find the following function values and justify your answers.

f(30)=
f(-14)=

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know the graph is periodic, I know it's max and min, and I know it's amplitude because of that. But I don't know what the 30 or -14 is supposed to mean to me or how I'm suppose to "justify" my answer[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sonny18n said:
View attachment 80886 1. Homework Statement
A graph of y=f(x) is shown. Find the following function values and justify your answers.

f(30)=
f(-14)=

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I know the graph is periodic, I know it's max and min, and I know it's amplitude because of that. But I don't know what the 30 or -14 is supposed to mean to me or how I'm suppose to "justify" my answer[/B]

It looks to me like what you are supposed to conclude from the graph is that f(x+4)=f(x). That's periodic. So f(-14)=f(-10)=f(-6)=f(-2). The last value you can read off from the graph. Patterns like that.
 
f(30) and f(-14) are the values of the function calculated in x=30 and x=-14.
You said that the graph is periodic, so it means that the graph repeat itself with perod 5.
now you should obtain the two values.
 
Pierce610 said:
Yes, Dick is right, the period is 4
(It is possible for you to Edit post #3. )
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Pierce610
Now no more; I'll do it in future if I should realize in time to have to correct my post
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SammyS