How to find a function of f with the following characteristics

• Thread starter dazza555
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the equation f(x) = 4 / e^(x^2) is increasing for x < 0 and decreasing for x > 0, and y = 1 is a horizontal asymptote of the graph of f as x→-∞. The equation f(x) = 1 - 1/e^(x^2) is increasing for x > 0 and decreasing for x < 0, and y = 0 is a horizontal asymptote of the graph of f as x→∞.
dazza555

Homework Statement

Give an expression for a function f which has all the following characteristics:

f (0) = 4 , and
f is increasing for x < 0 , and decreasing for x > 0 , and
y = 1 is a horizontal asymptote of the graph of f as x→-∞ , and
y = 0 is a horizontal asymptote of the graph of f as x→∞ .

Homework Equations

Any I guess

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, since part a was to do with trigonometry I figured this being part b might follow suit but after having tried 4cos(x), 4/cos(x) and several other differing equations revolving around some manipulation of cos(0)=1 I've come up totally empty.

So then I tried all manner of sorts of x+4 and 1/x +4 but still nothing.

I'm not even sure of where to exactly start or how to approach this question aside from trial and error. I can find several equations to fit each characteristic but combining them is stumping me. The only other thing I can think of is a piece wise equation but again I'm not sure how to approach it or where to start.

Tips and hints on where to begin are all I'm after, as long as I know I'm on the right path.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dazza555! :smile:
dazza555 said:
The only other thing I can think of is a piece wise equation but again I'm not sure how to approach it or where to start.

piecewise is fine :smile:

(nothing in the question requires the answer to have a continuous derivative)

and can you think of a function with f(0) = 0 and f(+∞) = 1 ? :wink:

Thank you tiny-tim, that helps quite a bit. I shall work on it some more and post back early tomoz of how I go.

Ok, so I've come up with the following piecewise equation:

f(x)= 4 / e^(x^2), x>=0

1 - 1/e^(x^2), x<0

I'm fairly confident it satisfies all the criteria but I know I'll feel better once somebody confirms it (especially the "f(x) is increasing for x < 0 , and decreasing for x > 0" part).

hi dazza555! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
dazza555 said:
f(x)= 4 / ex2, x>=0

1 - 1/eSUP]x2[/SUP], x<0

(wouldn't it be better to write them as 4e-x2 and 1 - e-x2 ? :wink:

and why not use x or -x instead of x2 ?)

the first one is ok, but the second is decreasing, from 1 at -∞ to 0 at 0

(and they aren't continuous at 0 … i know the question doesn't actually specify that, but it would be neater if it was continuous)

I'm an idiot, I can't believe I missed that bit on the second piece, I've just assumed graph go up, graph increasing. Well it's a simple fix, if I change my second part to 1+3e-x2 it's all fixed and it'll be continuous at (0,0).

The reason I chose x2 is because it gives a nice bell shape curve rather than a sharp spike up. Since I'm graphing it also on a rather small axis I figured this way I won't get marked down because it looks linear. Also the reason I wrote it as 4/e^(x^2) was because I failed to notice the superscript button and it kinda looked confusing with little hats going everywhere. But the constructive criticism is welcome, without it I never would've looked for it:wink:

Also thanks for all the help tiny-tim.

1. How do I determine the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. To find the domain, look at the restrictions on the variables in the function. To find the range, consider the possible values of the function as the input values change.

2. How can I identify the type of function based on its characteristics?

There are several types of functions, such as linear, quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic. To identify the type of function, look at the variables and their exponents, as well as any patterns or relationships between the input and output values.

3. Is there a specific method for finding the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, switch the positions of the input and output variables and solve for the new output variable. This method is called "switch and solve."

4. Can a function have more than one input or output variable?

Yes, a function can have multiple input and output variables. These are known as multivariable functions. The number of input and output variables may vary depending on the type of function and its characteristics.

5. How do I use the characteristics of a function to create its graph?

To graph a function, plot points by substituting different input values into the function and calculating the corresponding output values. You can also use the characteristics of the function, such as its slope and x- and y-intercepts, to create a visual representation of the function.