How to find if there are outliers, given mean, median, etc

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter chriskeller1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean Median
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
chriskeller1
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I'm getting ready for a stats exam and one of the questions looks like this
View attachment 3406
If I'm not given a histogram, how can this be solved?
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 6.59.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 6.59.56 PM.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 154
Physics news on Phys.org
I think a boxplot can be useful here. Have you tried to draw the boxplot?
 
chriskeller1 said:
Hi guys, I'm getting ready for a stats exam and one of the questions looks like this
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3406
If I'm not given a histogram, how can this be solved?

You do not need to do a box plot but you can adopt the conventional definition of outlier that corresponds to the whiskers of a box and whiskers plot. Then your definition of an outlier is any datum that lies beyond 1.5 times IQR of the 1st or 3rd quartiles.

Now the IQR=16.7-10.8=5.9, any datum that is less than 10.8-1.5 IQR= 1.95 or larger than 16.7 + 1.5 IQR = 25.55 is an outlier. Since the maximum is 25.8 there must be (mild) upper outliers.

.