1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find maximum change in the following scenario?

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    I need directions regarding methods that I could use for the following type of problem:

I am given the following scenario:

Observers consistently estimate objects as 20% shorter than they really are in the "y" dimension. They accurately estimate objects in the "x" dimension.

** error in estimated lengths in the y dimension, % error y = -20 % of physical lengths.
    ** error in estimated lengths in the x-dimension, % error x = 0% of physical length

Observers also consistently overestimate physical angles between "x" dimension and directions between "x" and "y" dimension.

Let physical angle = σ
    Let estimated angle = β

** angle β = arctan ((sin α (% error x + 100))/(cos α ( % error y + 100))

*** Angles α and β vary between 0 deg to 90 degrees. The change between the
    two is not constant, however. It will be greatest at a particular value of angle α.

QUESTION: If the physical length y is underestimated by 20 %, at which physical angle α
    (between 0 and 90 degrees) will the change between angle β and angle α be
    the greatest?

How would you suggest I approach this problem? Should I use differential calculus?

By the way, my background in math is pretty basic - I took undergraduate calculus a few years ago.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted